NZ boxing - News,Views and gossip.
David Light's Coach Confident They Can Shock Lawrence Okolie
BY BOXINGSCENE STAFF
Published Tue Dec 27, 2022, 11:25 PM EST

Earlier this month, the WBO confirmed that cruiserweight champion Lawrence Okolie would make a mandatory defense against David Light in London on March 11.

Light secured the mandatory crack with an upset twelve round split decision over Brandon Glanton in Florida.

Light's head trainer Isaac Peach is pleased with the scheduled date.

"It's perfect," Peach told RNZ. "It gives us a month of recouping [David's] body and then we've got a 10-week camp to that date. It's absolutely perfect."

Okolie, regarded as the best fighter in his weight class, will be a huge favorite to defeat Light.

Not intimidated by the odds, Peach believes his boxer has the proper skills to pull off the upset.

"Okolie is the best champion in the [cruiserweight] division. He's huge, six-foot-five, is a massive puncher and knocks most people out," Peach said.

"It's a big test but I also think he's a bit vulnerable in some areas, so it's up to us to exploit those. We're going to be big underdogs, but I think we're going to win.

"I don't think it's sunk in at all. It's pretty unbelievable and it seems like a bit of a dream. It's been a goal for everyone in the gym and for one of them to be here now is crazy. 2022 was huge but 2023 is going to be even bigger. They're all ready to take whatever big fights get thrown at us."

Light's official training camp would begin on New Years Day, with the team planning to arrive in the UK two weeks before the fight against Okolie.

The only issue with the fight is an ongoing legal dispute between Okolie and promoter Eddie Hearn of Matchroom Boxing. Okolie believes his promotional contact is up, Hearn disagrees.

Messages In This Thread
RE: NZ boxing - News,Views and gossip. - diehard - 12-28-2022, 06:44 PM