NZ boxing - News,Views and gossip.
Reece Papuni did much better than expected after 3 years out. Started limping badly at end of the second round but apparently, it happened in his warm-up.
Was a calf injury. Not sure how bad. Posted to Facebook saying his next fight would be in Christchurch
Cairo George is off to Australia in November, he's fighting local lad Jamie Hilt in Toowoomba, Queensland for the WBU super lightweight title.
So tell me people, how was Shane Cameron's card? Main event a draw???
(08-31-2019, 01:26 AM)craigyid14 Wrote: So tell me people, how was Shane Cameron's card? Main event a draw???

Pretty average on paper, saw the Josh Francis fight which was a bit of a slugfest. Boyd has a decent chin but Francis eventually got the better of him. Only saw the first 3 rounds of the main event but Leutele won all of them but I heard Long knocked him to the canvas with an uppercut??? They might need to have a rematch down the line.
(08-31-2019, 08:26 PM)African Monkey Wrote:
(08-31-2019, 01:26 AM)craigyid14 Wrote: So tell me people, how was Shane Cameron's card? Main event a draw???

Pretty average on paper, saw the Josh Francis fight which was a bit of a slugfest. Boyd has a decent chin but Francis eventually got the better of him. Only saw the first 3 rounds of the main event but Leutele won all of them but I heard Long knocked him to the canvas with an uppercut??? They might need to have a rematch down the line.
Cheers.
Another win for cruiser David Light on Saturday, moving along nicely.
David Light 2019-08-31 German Garcia Montes 7 1 0 ABA Stadium, Auckland UD
(09-01-2019, 10:40 PM)craigyid14 Wrote: Another win for cruiser David Light on Saturday, moving along nicely.

And Mikhailovich too.
(09-01-2019, 11:30 PM)African Monkey Wrote:
(09-01-2019, 10:40 PM)craigyid14 Wrote: Another win for cruiser David Light on Saturday, moving along nicely.

And Mikhailovich too.

Yep, I figure Mikhailovich must just love being in the ring. He's very active.
Just saw the Long/Leutele fight. Good draw result, as it was the right decision. In his day, Long was a decent world journeyman, and fought everybody. Today, he's a NZ gatekeeper. Looks like Leutele is not going anywhere outside of NZ/OZ. Here's Long's record. Impressive opponents:

https://boxrec.com/en/proboxer/30144