NZ boxing - News,Views and gossip.
The majority on here seem to like to post about the fat boys on peds who avoid eachother, this thread is about whats happening or could happen in New Zealand boxing. So this week's news. Andrei Mikhailovich unanimously outpointed Gunnar Jackson over 10 rounds in Cambridge on Saturday night. Jackson has now officially retired, ending with a record of 29-13-4.
In other news Cairo George stopped another opponent with inferior boxing experience in the first round of another pointless bout at the ABA, Auckland.
Reece Papuni, who hasn't fought for going on 3 years has signed to fight Blake Caperelo in Melbourne this coming Friday - big ask.
Lance Bryant has signed to fight unbeaten Aussie Jason Whately in Australia in October.
Craig, we have a thread entitled "Professional Boxing in NZ" but your thread could supersede it, especially if you lead the way. I liked all the NZ boxers you mentioned. Good fights coming up by the looks of it. Keep 'em coming with your knowledge of the NZ fighters!
Gunnar Jackson will be missed. A great servant for NZ boxing. Bryant could turn into a local gatekeeper in NZ/Aus.
man i have been away from the local scene for a while.

craig, any other up and coming fighters to keep an eye out for?

whats happening with Pat Mailata?
I asked an NZ promotor I know and he told me Mailata signed with Dixon McIver who seems to be an agent for up an coming League players, makes sense as pre boxing Mailata was a promising league player before injury. He's currently in America working with Samuel Peter and Siarhei Liakhovich apparently. I don't know why he's been so inactive since his one and only pro fight.
Sam Peter is still boxing...??? Peter lives in Vegas, so maybe Mailata is there with Parker and KB.
Reece Papuni was stopped in the 8th round by Blake Caparello last night.
(08-10-2019, 08:41 AM)African Monkey Wrote: Reece Papuni was stopped in the 8th round by Blake Caparello last night.

It was certainly a big ask after not fighting for nearly 3 years.
(08-11-2019, 06:35 PM)craigyid14 Wrote:
(08-10-2019, 08:41 AM)African Monkey Wrote: Reece Papuni was stopped in the 8th round by Blake Caparello last night.

It was certainly a big ask after not fighting for nearly 3 years.

Yeah, was suprised Papuni was still fighting.
World-rated Caparello stops Papuni

By Ray Wheatley — World of Boxing

WBC #8, WBO #10, WBA #11 light-heavyweight Blake Caparello (30-3-1, 13 KOs) stopped New Zealand’s Reece Papuni (13-3, 7 KOs) in round eight of a scheduled ten round WBA Oceana title bout on Friday at the Melbourne Pavillion, Flemington Victoria, Australia. Caparello was coming off a ten round decision over fellow Australian Regain Dessaix and will be remembered for dropping Sergey Kovalev in unsuccessful WBO challenge in 2014.