NZ boxing - News,Views and gossip.
Bowyn Morgan and Andrei Mikhailovich have both sadly lost their fights to coronavirus travel restrictions
(03-15-2020, 08:31 PM)justafan Wrote: Bowyn Morgan and Andrei Mikhailovich have both sadly lost their fights to coronavirus travel restrictions

They forfeited their fight, and it was a loss, or they didn't get the chance to fight and it was cancelled due to travel restrictions???
Morgan's opponent had just over 24 hours to get to NZ which was a week ahead of schedule and even if he agreed to imagine trying to get the flights and then would he have been able to get home?
The card that Andrei was meant to fight on in Oz has been cancelled due to being a gathering over 500 but he also would have had to race over there at the drop of a hat to beat the 14 day self-isolation period if the card was going ahead and then would have had to self isolate when he got home.
Crazy times in the world of sport and obviously the world in general
R.I.P.

https://www.stuff.co.nz/national/health/coronavirus/121017727/coronavirus-canterbury-boxing-coach-dies-from-covid19
(04-15-2020, 11:48 PM)diehard Wrote: R.I.P.

https://www.stuff.co.nz/national/health/coronavirus/121017727/coronavirus-canterbury-boxing-coach-dies-from-covid19

Very sad. He was my next door neighbour up until a year or 2 ago where he got moved into a home and wasn't in a great way. RIP.
Sorry, I can't get the whole article, but it's about Patrick Mailata looking to fight in Vegas.  If anyone has their dues paid up in Herald, could you kindly release the whole article.  Thanks.

https://www.nzherald.co.nz/sport/news/article.cfm?c_id=4&objectid=12327391
Are things back to semi normal in NZ now? Any news on when sport and boxing will return?
(05-05-2020, 09:17 AM)craigyid14 Wrote: Are things back to semi normal in NZ now? Any news on when sport and boxing will return?

I'll let you know Monday of next week IF we get down to level 2. My guess is that there won't be any sports where spectators are there as it'll probably have to be below 100 people together.
Thanks, I think it'll be hard for small hall shows in NZ. With no TV money promoters arent gonna cover their costs with 100 spectators.
Sonny Bill Williams would be crazy to fight Mike Tyson
Duncan Johnstone

OPINION: Sonny Bill Williams would be mad to jump into the ring with Mike Tyson unless there were some guarantees.

What we’ve learnt from Tyson’s rocky life there are few guarantees.

Williams is a cross-code superstar but he’s still a relative boxing novice and certainly not in the class of the ferocious former world heavyweight champion.

The ex-All Black and Kiwi has been touted as a possible opponent for Tyson in a fight in Australia if the American is serious about his comeback intentions.

The saving grace for Williams – or any opponent – is that these are likely to be exhibition bots over three or four rounds.

But instincts take over and Tyson, notoriously known as “the baddest man on the planet” in his prime, mightn’t be able to resist some of the heavy shots he was famous for.

Already his new trainer, noted MMA coach Rafael Cordeiro, has been in awe of Tyson’s power, admitting he’s being lifted off the ground taking hits during pad work.

Sonny Bill Williams' last fight was an exhibition against Australian reality TV star Stuart Laundy. An "exhibition" against Mike Tyson would be a different prospect.
At 32 and 1.91m, Williams has age and height on his side. But that’s about where any advantage would end against the 53-year-old Tyson who never let his 1.78m frame prevent him from getting to opponents with his aggressive style.

Williams has had just seven professional fights since making his debut in 2009 and the last of those was way back in January 2015.

In 2018, Williams had a Sydney exhibition bout against Australian reality-TV personality Stu Laundy to raise money for homeless charities.

It was a noble and worthy gesture. But it was hardly a fight. There was as much banter as action and it ended in a draw.

An “exhibition” against Tyson would be another matter.

Williams’ competitive instincts might get the better of him if this fanciful fight did eventuate. He’s not one to duck a challenge and having Tyson on your fighting CV is certainly noteworthy.

Even seasoned Kiwi professionals like Joseph Parker and Shane Cameron, a former sparring partner of Tyson, have admitted as much.

But Williams is no Parker or Cameron when it comes to putting the gloves on.

Even though Tyson lost his drive at the end of his career, throwing in the towel in his final fight against unheralded Irishman Kevin McBride in 2005, this would be a huge challenge for Williams.

Tyson is on a high in his rollercoaster life right now. He’s talking a lot about boxing with his successful podcast and his views on the fight scene are sought everywhere and he has been largely accommodating.

@MikeTyson
I’m a Bad Boy for Life. Watch #BadBoysforLife now on DVD Blueray @realmartymar #willsmith #stillthebaddestmanontheplanet

It seems he’s motivated for a reason that will only be known to him.

But a motivated Tyson is dangerous. He recently recalled his gladiator approach to his fights where he felt, at his peak, he was absolutely invincible.

Forget his six losses, with three of those coming in his final phase. This is a man who had 44 knockouts in his 50 wins and was simply terrifying for many of his opponents.

He will be some way off that sort of form. But could he stay true to “an exhibition”?

One thing we’ve grown to know with Tyson is to expect the unexpected.

Williams needs to factor that into his thinking if this idea gathers pace.