Parker/Leapai, June 29th
(06-19-2019, 07:53 PM)gothenaki Wrote:
(06-19-2019, 12:42 PM)diehard Wrote: I was hoping he'd fight someone like Trevor Bryan, who's ranked #1 and hasn't fought in almost a year.  Guess he doesn't want to come off his lofty perch.  He's also American.  http://boxrec.com/en/boxer/584916

3 fights for Trev since July 2016, 2 against guys with a combined record of 4 wins 44 losses, and the other against 40 year old Cruiser BJ Flores. How is he ranked at all? Just shows how much boxing is about avoiding the big guns, get the right promoter, and wait for your big shot.

Alex Leapai meanwhile has fought 3 times since May 2015, and fought Boxrec ranked 582 Thomas Peato and 43 year old Roger Izonritei (ranked 412 - twice)

Hard to get someone on 2 weeks notice though.

I agree that JP should wait until the dust settles a bit and see which belts shake loose. It's how he got the WBO..

That's my point. Bryan is bogus. Call him out, if not this fight, then the next. I just think that someone in the top 10 would want to step up to the plate to fight Parker, a former belt holder and top 5 heavyweight. My other thought is that Hearn will take good care of him opponent wise.
Depends on where Hearn sees JP..
Is he building him up to take on Whyte 2, which would make very good coin but would need things not to go well for Whyte for him to take that fight.
Or will he give JP 2 easy fights then feed him to Usyk expecting Usyk to win and propel him to HW superstardom and take AJ's spot as cashcow...
Hopefully not hope he will fight a decent 2nd fight then an eliminator or title shot... Im just slightly sceptical
I'm going with the idea that Molina was a good, credible opponent, and that Leapai was the best they could do on short notice. Which means Hearn wants him to fight good quality opponents. The best fight for Parker after Leapai is Whyte II, and as you say, there's good coin in it. Which would mean the fight would be in the UK, and probably his third fight under Hearn. Second fight? I think it'll be in the US against a top ten fighter. Jarrell Miller would be interesting if he's still not suspended.
Poss list for 2nd fight,, (not knowing their upcoming agendas)
Winner of Chisora- Gashi
Zhang
Ajit Kabayel
Charles Martin
C Hammer
(06-20-2019, 04:57 PM)bart Wrote: Poss list for 2nd fight,, (not knowing their upcoming agendas)
Winner of Chisora- Gashi
Zhang
Ajit Kabayel
Charles Martin
C Hammer

Don't like that list, as it doesn't improve Parker's standing in the rankings. They're not good enough! Plus, I think Hearn wants Joe to fight in the US next to strengthen his DANZ network (or whatever it's called). I'd like Fa to fight Zhang though, as Zhang does fight in the US, and if not Fa, he would be the best on that list.
Yeah just think they won't go to high in rankings next especially if Leapai falls early.
I suspect next fight in UK poss Chisora or winner of... JP has a decent name there and would be chief undercard on a PPV fight.
Otherwise if EH keeps him in US then maybe looking to call out Wilder...
As I said earlier the HW div is going to be topsy durvy for next 12mths especially if titles stripped
The Chisora - Parker fight next would be great.
(06-20-2019, 07:01 PM)Msreef Wrote: The Chisora - Parker fight next would be great.
Or szpilka, if he beats Chisora.
Joseph Parker reveals his fight plan for Alex Leapai
09:01, Jun 21 2019

Joseph Parker wants another ruthless performance as he looks for an early finish against Alex Leapai.

The pair of heavyweights clash in Providence, Rhode Island on June 30 (NZT) with Parker starting his three-fight deal with Eddie Hearn's Matchroom Boxing.

Australian-Samoan Leapai comes in as a late replacement for American Eric Molina and Parker has had to make training adjustments.

But the goal is the same – a statement performance to pick up from his last effort, a three round demolition of American-Mexican Alexander Flores last December.

Parker predicts he will have to weather an early storm from Leapai who has question marks over his fitness given his relative inactivity since losing a world title fight against Wladimir Klitschko in 2014.

The 39-year-old Leapai has fought just five times since then for two wins, two losses and a draw to take his pro record to 32-7-4.

Parker said they had "two or three" other fighters lined up in case the Molina deal fell through but ultimately Leapai "was the only fighter who put up his hand and is keen so I'm grateful for that".

"Alex is very dangerous in the beginning of the fight, so for three to five rounds he will be very dangerous with big overhand rights and left hooks," Parker told the BoxHard podcast.

"I'm looking to break him down and knock him out."

Leapai is about 10 cm shorter than Molina and Parker now finds himself with a slight reach advantage to work his jab and set up his power shots against the chunky Aussie.

Parker said they would have to put their Samoan heritage aside.

Australian slugger Alex Leapai is expected to come hard at Joseph Parker from the opening bell.
"I have to do my best to bash him up."

While there have been difficulties in getting an opponent for this fight, Parker believes that won't be the case moving forward as he looks to get himself back in elite company.

On Friday (NZT), Britain's Dereck Chisora reiterated his desire to fight Parker.

​Chisora would certainly have much more box office appeal than Leapai and be a fight that would help manoeuvre Parker in the right direction.

Parker remains keen to avenging his two losses last year to Anthony Joshua and Dillian Whyte, the only defeats in a 25-2 career.

"We have other possibilities on fighting on this card and that card. But we can't focus on any of that until we take care of business first," Parker said.

"There are a lot of good fights to be made, as long as we take care of business. Recent results have opened the division up."

Parker will fight in front of a decent crowd in Rhode Island as Hearn looks to continue his American impact with streaming giant DAZN.

Parker, the former WBO champion, is the main undercard fight to unbeaten hometown favourite Demetrius Andrade's defence of his WBO middleweight belt against Poland's Maciej Sulecki.

Stuff
Mature Joseph Parker ready to hit his peak, says trainer Kevin Barry
Marvin France in Providence

Joseph Parker has adopted a more disciplined approach during his downtime.
When Joseph Parker first arrived for the start of training camp two months ago, Kevin Barry was quite surprised – in a good way.

Unlike previous camps, the Kiwi heavyweight turned up at his trainer's house in Las Vegas right around fight weight thanks to a more disciplined approach to life in between bouts.

Maintaining a strict diet hasn't always been his strong point. But it's been a key area of focus of late and the results were there to see as a lean, muscular Parker fine-tuned his preparation for Saturday's (Sunday NZT) showdown with former title contender, Australian Alex Leapai, in Providence, Rhode Island.

Parker (25-2) has weighed as low as 106kg during this training camp, with an eye to entering the ring at 110kg.

The bout doubles as the first of a three-fight deal with Eddie Hearn's Matchroom Boxing and the former WBO champion is undoubtedly determined to make a good impression.

Trainer Kevin Barry has shrugged off the disruption caused by the late change of opponent.
But while that is part of it, Barry believes the lifestyle change is simply a sign of Parker maturing in and outside of the ring.

"When he first came to me he was just turning 21 and now he's a father of three beautiful girls," Barry said. "Everything's changed in his life and it's not just about him any more, it's about his family.

"He still had his treats [outside of training camp]. He had a burger every now and then and he still had a couple of beers. But he didn't over-indulge with all those things. I said to him 'pick your moments' and he really watched what he ate. And he liked it."

It's not only mentally that Parker is maturing.

Back-to-back lossess in 2018 saw him fall away from the world's premier heavyweights; Deontay Wilder, Tyson Fury and Anthony Joshua, who have since been joined by Andy Ruiz Jr following his upset over the latter.

Kiwi heavyweight Joseph Parker shows fast hands and good footwork during Las Vegas training.
But at 27, Parker is the youngest of that group and after six years as a professional, Barry says he's only starting to hit his physical prime.

"He's now grown into his man body, and that's the difference. He's got a different level of strength now," Barry said.

"We've had a very good camp, brought in some very good sparring. Joe's strength is probably the best it's ever been. His attitude and focus is as good as I've ever seen it. We all put a lot of work in and I expect a good performance."

Barry was forced to make some late adjustments to the fight-plan after negotiations broke down with initial opponent American Eric Molina two weeks ago.

Leapai (32-7-4), who lost his world title challenge against Wladimir Klitshcko in 2014, is at least 10cm shorter than Molina and has a completely different style.

MORE FROM
MARVIN FRANCE • SPORTS REPORTER
marvin.france@stuff.co.nz
The bout has also been upgraded from 10 to 12 rounds but with so much at stake for Parker, Barry has no doubt he will be ready.

"Every fight that we have now is a world title fight because if we take a loss at the moment, there will be huge damage," Barry said.

"He's a strong physical guy and he will try and use his physicality to throw Joe off his game. But right at the moment, I feel like Joe is starting to peak as a fighter."

Parker's clash against Leapai is the co-featured bout on a card headlined by the WBO middleweight title fight between champion Demetrius Andrade and Maciej Sulecki.

* Marvin France travelled to Providence with assistance from Duco