AJ/Ruiz
AJ: 3 minutes ago:

“Heavyweight boxing is on fire,” Joshua says. “I just have to turn it around a few notches and bring it back my way. I don’t want people to drown in their sorrows. This will show I have the power and the strength.”

On the difference between tonight and Wladimir Klitschko: “It’s all the same. It just wasn’t my night. But listen, it is good for the TV. Good for DAZN and the people watching.”

On the stoppage: “I want to fight. I don’t do his job. I am never one of those fighters to disrespect a referee like he should have done this or he should have done that. He called it off when he thought I couldn’t fight. It’s a shame. But I don’t want anyone to drown in their sorrows. It’s the long game, not the short game.”

On the immediate rematch: “100%. 100%.”

Facebook Twitter
14m ago
04:54
Ruiz Jr: 'This is what I have been dreaming about'
“I want to thank God for giving me this victory, without him this wouldn’t be possible,” Ruiz says. “I just feel so good, man. This is what I have been dreaming about. This is what I have been working hard for. I can’t believe I just made my dreams come true. I just want to thank my team and my family. The sky is the limit, baby.”

On what happened in the third round: “That was my first time getting dropped on the floor. It just made me stronger. It just made me want it more. I just had to knock him down back.”

On taking Anthony Joshua’s power: “It’s because of the Mexican warrior I am, I have that Mexican blood in me. Talking about the Mexican fighting style, I just proved it.”

On sensing that Anthony Joshua was hurt: “I could but I just didn’t want to throw away what I had. I just wanted to hunt him down even more and work the body. I just wanted to listen to the game plan.”
EDDIE HEARN

On the huge upset: “AJ got sloppy. It was a beautiful combination in the third round. He was in total control of the fight but he got sloppy and never recovered. Listen, tonight was his night but AJ will come back 100% and we will make the rematch in the U.K. in November or December. But this night now belongs to Andy Ruiz, he made history in the heavyweight division tonight. IT will go down in history as a very big one. AJ has the heart of a lion and will come back stronger. Now at least we know the opponent for the end of the year in the U.K. Absolutely we will enact the immediate rematch. He will be devastated when it sinks in. It makes the fall fight a must win.
Awesome
throws the HW apart although the rematch is contractal so AJ gets a chance to TRY to redeem himself.
I was telling my bro that AJ has had issues with shorter fighter (Takam- Povetkin) tring to get his timing range etc while getting hit more.
I really did think Ruiz would give him fits early but ultimately AJ would find his range and box behind the jab to suffocate Ruiz....
Well... peel my tangerines Ruiz soaked up AJ and backed him up after round 4 AJ looked scared and I believe he indicated to the ref either verbally or body language that he didn't want to continue- that was the big surprise for me he didn't go out on his shield
Bad day at the office for Eddie Hearn, who I like. First his poster girl, Katie Taylor, gets a gift decision after getting the #$%^@ beat out of her, and then his cash cow gets repeatedly knocked down before he quits. AJ was still very much in that fight when it was stopped. He had no trouble hitting Ruiz, but he got countered worse.

Guess Parker goes up the food chain with AJ's defeat.
Some of the highlights on you tube for those who didn't see it:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8L-D1BfWo80
Post match press conference:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N0r0noD9UR0
Boxing: Unified heavyweight champion Andy Ruiz Jr silences doubters; Anthony Joshua rematch 'almost certain'

Andy Ruiz Jr stopped Anthony Joshua in the seventh round of their heavyweight title bout. Photo / Getty ImagesAndy Ruiz Jr stopped
By: Christopher Reive

No one gave Andy Ruiz Jr a chance.

Taking a fight against the 22-0 unified world heavyweight champion Anthony Joshua on six weeks' notice, the 29-year-old blocked out the doubters and got to work.

It was another opportunity for him to become the first ever heavyweight champion of Mexican heritage after an agonising majority decision loss to Joseph Parker for the WBO belt in 2016.

At 188cm and 121kg, Ruiz has often been overlooked by fans in the sport due to his image. It's an aspect he made sure to point out ahead of his bout with Joshua.

"Don't underestimate this little fat boy," Ruiz said in an interview with Sky Sports before the fight when asked if he had a message for his British opponent. "I'm coming for you, just tune in man, you're going down."

Under the bright lights of New York's Madison Square Garden on Sunday (NZ time), Ruiz stayed true to his word.

In what will go down in history as one of the biggest upsets in boxing history, Ruiz stopped the 198cm Joshua in the seventh round. After knocking Joshua down for a fourth time, the referee called a stop to the fight as Ruiz jumped around the ring in celebration.

"I wanted to prove everybody wrong," Ruiz said in his post-fight press conference. "All the doubters thinking that I was going to lose in the third round, first round, I was looking at comments (online) as well. But what do you know, man, I'm the first Mexican heavyweight champion of the world.

"Our lives are going to change. We don't have to struggle no more."

Ruiz looked to be in trouble in the third round of the fight when he was sent to the canvas for the first time in his career. He fought back in a strong way, though, and repaid the favour to Joshua.

Ruiz knocked Joshua down twice in the third round and twice more in the seventh before the fight was waved off.

"That's crazy that that happened right? That was my first time on the canvas. When I was on the canvas I was like, whoa what the hell just happened?

"I had to get him back. I think that was the Mexican blood in me, and the Mexican warrior that I have, I had to return the favour."

With a rematch clause in the contract, the two are expected to square off again in the UK later in the year. Anthony Joshua's promoter Eddie Hearn said his team would almost certainly be exercising that clause.

"It was an incredible night of boxing at the Garden, I'm sure everyone will remember it forever," Hearn said.

"I think Andy will fancy the rematch. He's just stopped Anthony Joshua...If he wins that rematch he really puts himself in position as, in my opinion, the golden goose of the division.

"Anthony, of course, has to accept that rematch. Knowing him I'm almost certain he'll want to do that."
Wilder, Fury comment on Joshua’s shock loss

WBC heavyweight champion Deontay Wilder and unbeaten former heavyweight champion Tyson Fury both took to social media to comment on previously unbeaten rival Anthony Joshua’s unexpected TKO loss to massive underdog Andy Ruiz Jr. on Saturday night at Madison Square Garden.

Deontay Wilder: He wasn’t a true champion. His whole career consisted of lies, contradictions and gifts. Facts and now we know who was running from who…the worst thing you can do in life is f**king quit!!

Tyson Fury: We have our back and forths, but Anthony Joshua changed his stars through life. Heavyweight boxing, these things happen. Rest up, recover, regroup and come again.
Minor setback? AJ, you got your ass handed to you. Here's some of the video of the knockdowns:

https://www.stuff.co.nz/sport/combat-sports/113195750/anthony-joshua-v-andy-ruiz-jr-uk-boxer-looks-to-future-after-minor-setback
Andy Ruiz Jr wants rematch with Anthony Joshua in Mexico
07:00, Jun 04 2019

Andy Ruiz Jr and his corner point the way forward after the Mexican-American destroyed Anthony Joshua.
New world heavyweight champion Andy Ruiz Jnr wants his rematch with Anthony Joshua in Mexico and has described the killer instinct that took over him as he secured one of boxing's biggest upsets.

Ruiz scored a seventh round TKO victory over Joshua in New York last weekend to win the WBA, WBO and IBF belts and grab control of an increasingly heated division that includes resurgent Kiwi Joseph Parker, still the only fighter to have beaten Ruiz.

There is a rematch clause and Joshua's stunned boss Eddie Hearn immediately looked to invoke that, calling for a sequel in Britain in November-December.

Andy Ruiz Jr holds the bulk of the heavyweight hardware after stunning Anthony Joshua in new York.
But Ruiz wants to cash in on his status as Mexico's first world champion in the glamour heavyweight division and has raised the idea of a home bout.

"I'd love to do the rematch but first I've got to talk to my team, we'll go from there and figure things out," Ruiz told Sky Sports UK.

"I'd love to be in Mexico, there's never been a heavyweight champion in Mexico so I'd love to have a rematch there."

It wasn't just the result but the brutality of it that has rocked the rankings with Ruiz putting Joshua on the canvas four times before the referee eventually waved the fight off.

Ruiz recalled the dramatic third round where he was dropped by Joshua but rebounded in ruthless fashion to deck the big Brit twice with Joshua saved by the bell to live another four rounds.

Andy Ruiz Jr has defeated Anthony Joshua to become the first Mexican heavyweight champion.
"It made me a little hungrier as I had never been on the canvas, I took a little breathe and knew I just had to return the favour," Californian-based Ruiz said.

He knew he had done enough to finish Joshua in the seventh as his relentless attack gathered pace.

"Even if the referee didn't stop it, I saw his [Joshua's] legs, his body was tired and shaking, I think I would've ended it in a dramatic way," Ruiz told Sky Sports.

Andy Ruiz Jr put Anthony Joshua on the canvas four times in New York.
"I'm still pinching myself that this is true, all that hard work and dedication, I've made my dreams come true.

"We've been working for this my whole life, it's overwhelming and I'm just excited."

Joshua is eager for the rematch.

"He's the champ for now. Just put that in mind, he's the champ for now. I shall return. I've got to bounce back. This is all part of the story and the journey," Joshua said.

"I've got to get that solid armoury. This is the risk we take, but we'll bounce back."

Hearn will need to move quickly to arrange a rematch and head off some mandatory defences Ruiz now has in front of him with rugged Bulgarian Kubrat Pulev due a shot at the IBF belt and the WBO belt also due for attention.

Joshua, who must now come up with a new game plan to counter the fast hands and come-forward style of Ruiz, swiped away suggestions he may need a warmup fight in the meantime.

Joshua, who hadn't fought for nine months before taking on Ruiz, a late replacement for drug-tainted American Jarrell Miller, reacted angrily at talk of him needing a fight ahead of the sequel.

"What's a warm-up fight? Like, f*****g … like, what do you mean a warm-up fight?

"It's what I do, I don't fight warm-ups, bro. I'm down to scrap. No warm-up. That'd be stupid. No way."

Stuff