AJ/Ruiz
Yes! Yessssss!

Joshua didn't have the heart
Hearn wants a rematch in the UK so the refs can protect AJ. I'd refuse if I was Andy. Make him fight in the US or Mexico
Big ups to Andy.
Parker back at the top! Only man to beat Ruiz, and Ruiz just beat AJ. If only it was that simple haha...
Looking forward to the reaction of AJ's trainer who I find rather arrogant, the only and only Tyson Fury and the teary/heartbroken Mr Eddie Hearn, his pocket just took a big hit.
(06-02-2019, 05:31 PM)Msreef Wrote: Big ups to Andy.
Parker back at the top! Only man to beat Ruiz, and Ruiz just beat AJ. If only it was that simple haha...
Looking forward to the reaction of AJ's trainer who I find rather arrogant, the only and only Tyson Fury and the teary/heartbroken Mr Eddie Hearn, his pocket just took a big hit.

AJ quit!!! Had his arms on the ropes when the ref asked him if he wanted to continue. AJ didn't respond. Tony Bellew said it was a premature stoppage. Right. Knocked him down three times. Ruiz was just faster. After AJ would connect with a power punch, Ruiz would come back and AJ would just cover up until he went down. Yep, no heart.

I was gonna put a lazy $20 on 30-1 odds near my gym at the TAB but I forgot. Mrs D said, "what, $20, you should have put a $100, or a thousand. Well, I wasn't that confident, but the odds were all wrong.
Ruiz TKOs Joshua to win heavyweight championship

In a huge upset, Andy “The Destroyer” Ruiz Jr (33-1, 22 KOs) stopped WBA/IBF/WBO heavyweight champion Anthony Joshua (22-1, 21 KOs) in round seven on Saturday night at Madison Square Garden in New York City.

Late sub Ruiz, who entered six pounds heavier than in his previous fight last month, showed no ill effects with the extra weight. After two slow rounds, Joshua dropped Ruiz in round three. Ruiz, however, got up fired back furiously dropping Joshua twice. Joshua was saved by the bell. Ruiz let Joshua keep his distance and clear his head in round four. Ruiz rocked Joshua and dropped him two additional times in round seven prompting referee Michael Griffin to stop the fight. Time was 1:27. Andy Ruiz is the new heavyweight champion!!!!!

There is a rematch clause and promoter Eddie Hearn said the rematch will be in England at the end of the year.
More thoughts: why didn't Ruiz jump on AJ to start the 4th? AJ's legs were gone, and he was still wobbly. Ruiz barely threw a punch in the 4th. I thought, well, the fight will return to script, with AJ KO'ing him.

Don't cry tears for Hearn. He'll make a killing in the rematch. If Ruiz wins, I wouldn't put it past him to have the Wilder/Ruiz fight in Mexico City, or the Staples Center where Ruiz is now living in LA.
(06-02-2019, 05:38 PM)diehard Wrote:
(06-02-2019, 05:31 PM)Msreef Wrote: Big ups to Andy.

AJ quit!!! Had his arms on the ropes when the ref asked him if he wanted to continue. AJ didn't respond. Tony Bellew said it was a premature stoppage. Right. Knocked him down three times. Ruiz was just faster. After AJ would connect with a power punch, Ruiz would come back and AJ would just cover up until he went down. Yep, no heart.

I was gonna put a lazy $20 on 30-1 odds near my gym at the TAB but I forgot. Mrs D said, "what, $20, you should have put a $100, or a thousand. Well, I wasn't that confident, but the odds were all wrong.

Interesting how it ended, was it AJ lacking heart and quit, or did he think he could waste the ref's time to recover? I suspect the latter, he's used to having everything is own way in the UK. He's spat out his mouthguard in past fights to buy him time, stopped a fight himself as he divided that his gloves needed to be looked at. Some will complain about the stoppage but imo he's only got himself to blame.

I suspect AJ will never be the same again.
What an upset! Joshua looked gassed, though I am pretty sure he could have continued if his heart was in it. It really didn't look much better than Khan throwing in the towel against Crawford last month. Hard to see Joshua coming back from this, obviously there have to be question marks over his desire and Ruiz has shown the other contenders the way to beat him. This result makes Parker's effort against Joshua all the more frustrating, it know it is easy to say from the armchair but if only he had chanced his arm a bit more in that fight then he could be standing where Ruiz is now.
AJ was ok exchanging with Ruiz in the first few rounds, and came out worse for wear. In the 6th and 7th, AJ refused to exchange and only covered up. He fought like a scared bully who does ok when he's hitting but not when he gets hit. Far cry from his fight with Klit.

https://www.stuff.co.nz/sport/combat-sports/113191652/andy-ruiz-stuns-anthony-joshua-to-claim-world-heavyweight-titles
AJ was smiling and laughing after the fight, talking about how this is part of his journey. Didn't even seem fazed that he lost. Eddie did though!