NZ boxing - the year ahead.
2019 looks set to be a cracking year for New Zealands professional boxers, JP might have lost his world title this year but given the right fights, it's a very exciting year ahead for him. Throw in unbeaten Junior Fa and comebacking (also unbeaten) Hemi Ahio, the heavyweight division is mouth watering.
At cruiser David Light looks a brilliant prospect, a muted may match up with Aussie Mark Flanagan looks tasty. The butcher back at light heavy with Mose (I hope he gets active) and Andrei Mikhailovich at super middle and middleweight respectively, lower down in weight classes Cantabrians Bowyn Morgan at light middle and Nort Beachamp challenging in Asia for a regional belt at super feather, NZ boxing looks exiciting. Here's to 2019, what's everybody hoping for?
I think Light loses his '0' vs Flanagan. Same with Mikhailovich. He'll lose his '0' in 2019. Fa to remain unbeaten. Parker vs chisora, browne, Whyte 2 etc. Bowyn Morgan needs to step it up against some top aussie welters. Kiko toa (sp)? hw should give us some interesting fights in oceania. Might be a prospect by year's end. Patrick Mailata to be fast tracked. Hopefully he'll be 5-0 by year's end and looks to step it up in 2020. Hemi Ahio needs a big step up next yr. Maybe vs Tupou, or even someone like Leapai. That's a name he needs before end of year.
Can't go past this guy, Andrei Mikhailovich. He looked really good against Adrian Taihia and is 7-0.
(12-31-2018, 02:06 AM)craigyid14 Wrote: 2019 looks set to be a cracking year for New Zealands professional boxers, JP might have lost his world title this year but given the right fights, it's a very exciting year ahead for him. Throw in unbeaten Junior Fa and comebacking (also unbeaten) Hemi Ahio, the heavyweight division is mouth watering.
At cruiser David Light looks a brilliant prospect, a muted may match up with Aussie Mark Flanagan looks tasty. The butcher back at light heavy with Mose (I hope he gets active) and Andrei Mikhailovich at super middle and middleweight respectively, lower down in weight classes Cantabrians Bowyn Morgan at light middle and Nort Beachamp challenging in Asia for a regional belt at super feather, NZ boxing looks exiciting. Here's to 2019, what's everybody hoping for?
Hope to see Fa and Morgan step up in class. Morgan will struggle to though as he still bases himself in Chch and struggles to get opponents to come to Chch so hopefully he looks to get some fights over in Aus and he also needs to fight at either 140 or 147 as he's far too small to be fighting at 154 imo. 

Mose needs to get in the ring more so hopefully we see him out about 3-4 times in 2019 against whoever as he's been far too inactive. Same applies to Ahio, who I feel should be aiming for 2020 to be a year where he looks to step up in class after long periods of inactivity.

Junior Fa has been moved slowly so far (correctly imo) but I would like to see him fighting slightly higher level ranked opponents this year. Former title contenders type oppnents like Cojanu, Arreola, Johnson etc. He's starting to come into fights in better shape and I thought he looked impressive in his last fight albeit against a well past it Rossi. I hope to see him set himself up for a possible title shot somewhere for 2020.

Light and Mikhailovich have been moved very well so far. Not sure if this Flannagan fight is too soon for Light or not but his career receives a massive boost if he can get past Flannagan. Mikhailovich is still very young and can afford to be bought along at a slower pace but looked very good against Taihia. The Peach Gym have some good up and coming fighters that's for sure.
Morgan is only chasing fights at 147. That has been the case for the last 12 months or so but so hard to get meaningful fights.
I have no idea what's next but hopefully its a big year for him as he's now 30 and 19-1. There was talk of the Dylan Emery fight that would be a cool one to start the year. Morgan can go a long way but needs to crack on in 2019 if that's going to happen.
Mose Auimatagi Jnr is listed as being on the Light v Flanagan card. Hopefully Mose can get a couple in before then and then step into a big fight on the May 18 card.
Such a shame he lost all the momentum following his win over Morgan Jones. He was on one and three news and the herald and stuff after that fight then dropped right off the radar. He pulled out of a fight in OZ right before christmas so hoping he's not injured???
Will be interesting to see what Patrick Mailata does in 2019 as well. He needs a year full of activity but may find it hard to get the right fights unless someone wants to invest a fair chunk of coin