Joseph Parker
Joseph Parker's biggest regret from loss to Anthony Joshua
10:48, May 18 2020

Kiwi heavyweight Joseph Parker has arrived in considerably better shape for his more recent Las Vegas training camps with trainer Kevin Barry.
Joseph Parker has opened up on his biggest regret from his world heavyweight unification loss to Anthony Joshua, admitting he let himself down with his preparation.

WBO champion Parker lost his belt to WBA and IBF champion Joshua on points in Cardiff in 2018.

It was Parker’s first loss though he had the honour of being the first fighter to take Joshua the distance.

There were lengthy negotiations to make the fight and Parker had secret surgery to both elbows while those arrangements were taking place.

Parker told a new podcast series on New Zealand boxing by Logan Savory called The Boxing Files, that while he and trainer Kevin Barry had done some good strategy work at their Las Vegas camp, too much time had been spent on actual fitness. That, said Parker, was his fault.

“When I look at things outside of the training camp, and outside of the fight, I should have went into camp at a better weight. I was in New Zealand relaxed and having a good time,’’ Parker told The Boxing Files podcast.

‘I’d had elbow surgery, so I wasn’t taking training to seriously. I went into camp at 123kgs, and I needed to come down to 107kgs, so the body is going through this big stress.

“I should have gone into camp at a better weight and started off healthier and a lot more in shape. Where is I went into camp to lose weight and get into shape. I should have been using it as a way to work on technique and skills to get better.’’

Parker had a frustrating night in the ring in Cardiff in front of 80,000 fans as a wary Joshua refused to engage in any brawls, helped by a referee who didn’t allow Parker to get in close to try to attack.

Parker praised Joshua for changing tactics, much the way the big Brit did to win back his titles from Andy Ruiz Jr last December.

“He boxed better than I thought. When I watched his previous fights he came out and chased you down, and he liked to brawl and fight. Where in this fight he adapted and changed, and he was able to box a bit better than I thought he was able to box," Parker told The Boxing Files.

Parker, 28, remains highly relevant to the heated division and would like nothing more than a chance to get revenge over Joshua. He is also desperate to fight another British heavyweight, Dillian Whyte, who also beat the Kiwi on a points decision, just four months later in London.

Parker has recovered from those back-to-back losses to put together three consecutive wins.

A more mature Parker says he now has a far better training attitude and has found ways to stay fit and motivated while in New Zealand ahead of linking up with Barry in Las Vegas.

“Along the way I’ve made a lot of mistakes, I’ve had failures, but I want to fight those guys I’ve lost to, I want to fight Anthony Joshua, I want to fight Dillian Whyte, and I believe if I do fight them again and I do everything right and actually go into camp at a better weight and use what I’ve learned from those first two fights I can do a lot better and I can beat them.’’

Negotiations are currently under way for Parker to fight in New Zealand in August, taking advantage of New Zealand’s early exit from the coronavirus lockdown.

No opponent has been confirmed though Australians Lucas Browne or Demsey McKean are likely as the fight looks to exploit a possible transTasman bubble as restrictions ease.

Stuff
Immaturity's one thing, but Parker coming into the biggest fight of his life at 16kg's overweight? This must give KB nightmares, as Tua came into camp at 140kg's against Lewis. Figure you gotta blame it on KB, as it's happened to 2 of his fighters now who were going for a world title.

And under-estimating AJ?
Queenstown option for Joseph Parker's breakout fight
Duncan Johnstone

Boxing's money man still sees a bright future for Kiwi heavyweight and wants to keep him on his books.
Queenstown could host Joseph Parker’s next fight.

The heavyweight and his manager David Higgins have just spent time in New Zealand adventure capital as lockdown restrictions ease and see potential for the city to hold Parker’s next fight which is being planned for August or September.

New Zealand’s ability to control the coronavirus has placed the country in a position to lead the sporting fightback.

Joseph Parker is eager to get back into action after his good win over North American champion Shawndell Winters in Texas in early March.
Higgins sees huge potential for former WBO champion Parker to get back into the ring on home soil in a promotion that could have a massive global audience.

With a limited audience, he is looking for some iconic or unusual New Zealand setting and sees Queenstown, Auckland, Rotorua and Wellington as potential options.

"We are doing our due diligence on locations now,” Higgins told Stuff on Monday, admitting there had been considerable interest in taking on the fight.

“A lot of the regions in New Zealand are on their knees. The tourist districts are some of the worst hit if not the most affected.

“It’s a matter of when and how do we bring back events? We need to be proactive about that now.

“Each region has their own recovery plans and we’d look at all venue options. So we are trying to make the budgets work.”

Higgins said Duco Events wanted to “be bold and provide entertainment to New Zealand and around the world.”

Higgins has the blessing of Parker’s British promoters at Matchroom Boxing to explore the options in New Zealand for a fight that could lead boxing's return to action internationally given the health struggles in some of the sport's major markets like the United States and Britain.

There is also a likely need for a New Zealand or Australian opponent under the current Covid-19 restrictions.

Struggles to agree a purse with New Zealand’s other top heavyweight ,Junior Fa, have thrown the focus on Australians Lucas Browne and Demsey McKean.

Queenstown mayor Jim Boult told Newshub his region was keen to host the fight and would seek government assistance to try to make it happen.

"We've had some initial discussions about it. I think it's a really, really good opportunity. It's just the sort of thing we need happening in the district," Boult said.

"They do have a budget for $400 million for tourism promotion, so I'm hoping we can find a bit of money somewhere in there to make this happen.”

Unbeaten McKean, meanwhile, continues to call out Parker, desperate for a fight that would put him on the map although his fists have already been doing plenty of talking on an unbeaten 18-fight run that sees him ranked No 13 with the IBF and No 14 with the WBO.

Parker is No 2 with the WBO, No 7 with the IBF and No 6 with the WBC - rankings that would be risked against a cocky McKean.

Australian heavyweight boxer Dempsey McKean is on a roll and wants to rumble with Joseph Parker.
McKean believes Parker, who has had a relatively quiet couple of years, is vulnerable and feels he has better current credentials than veteran Browne.

"We wouldn't be chasing that fight so much, if we didn't think so," McKean told Sky Sports of his ability to beat Parker.

"He hasn't looked the best in his last few outings either. I think he struggled even to put away Alex Leapai, a couple of fights ago. I've done a lot of rounds with Alex Leapai as well.

"I've had the more lively opposition, compared to his last few outings.

"If you pick Lucas Browne after that, it's kind of getting beyond a joke. Lucas Browne did the yards years ago, but he's 41, and he's at the end of his tether. He hasn't looked good for a couple of years either."

McKean says the fight could do “massive things for him.

“It would open up doors on the world scene, over in the UK and America,” McKean, at 1.98m known as The Tower of Terror”, told Sky Sports.

"Being a southpaw as well, I think it's a huge advantage, and I'm obviously backing my power as well to stop everyone.

"We all know in the heavyweight division, it only takes one punch too. I think I can catch him with a nice, big looping left hand, which I have done in the past against some guys.

"Yes, he does have a good chin. He's just got to get caught flush."
Parker/Mr Higgins relationship:

https://www.stuff.co.nz/sport/combat-sports/121688518/joseph-parker-and-david-higgins-have-more-than-just-boxing-in-common
https://www.facebook.com/joeboxerparker/videos/374289383526812/
Very talented that JP. Thanx for the link!
https://www.stuff.co.nz/sport/combat-sports/121749889/boxer-joseph-parker-leaves-fans-giggling-again-with-superbad-scene-reenactment
Calling out Joe:

https://www.boxing247.com/
https://www.tvnz.co.nz/one-news/sport/other/money-stopping-joseph-parker-junior-fa-heavyweight-clash-says-promoter
Joseph Parker still keen to fight Dillian Whyte but Junior Fa remains his focus
Duncan Johnstone

Dillian Whyte remains on Joseph Parker's radar with the Kiwi still keen to avenge his controversial 2018 loss in London.
Trustworthy, accurate and reliable news stories are more important now than ever. Support our newsrooms by making a contribution.

New Zealand heavyweight boxer Joseph Parker is still keen on a return fight with Dillian Whyte but his immediate focus remains on an all-Kiwi clash with Junior Fa.

Parker has been chasing Whyte without success ever since the rugged Brit earned a controversial points win over him in London in 2018.

Whyte has had his eye on bigger things but got distracted and paid the price as he suffered a brutal knockout loss to Russian veteran Alexander Povetkin in England last weekend.

Parker spoke to Whyte soon after the fight and with the subdued British star eager to exercise a rematch clause with Povetkin to get back his mandatory position with the WBC, there’s little chance of the Kiwi getting a revenge opportunity any time soon.

Parker, the former WBO champion, still sees relevance in taking on Whyte again if the circumstances allow.

He believes their action-packed first affair would help sell a sequel, and they are both now in similar positions, operating just below the top rung of a highly competitive division and eager to manoeuvre their way back into title contention.

“I think it is still a meaningful fight because we had such a close first fight. He knocked me down, I knocked him down,” Parker said.

“It would still be a good fight. If they one day say ‘Joe, it’s on’, I’d take it in a heartbeat. I would fight a similar fight … just don’t get headbutted.”

Joseph Parker had Dillian Whyte down in the 12th round of their fight but didn't have time to finish him off.
Parker had a small wager with Tyson Fury on last weekend’s fight, taking Whyte and losing his money.

“Whyte was doing pretty good before he got caught with that nice left uppercut by Povetkin. That showed the old saying is real true … one punch in the heavyweights can change the whole fight. Povetkin was down twice, but he is a smart fighter.”

Parker, 28, continues to train earnestly, hopeful of getting a fight in before the end of the year.

Everything points to that being against his old amateur rival Fa, a situation largely dictated by the coronavirus pandemic and the struggles that has placed on international travel and the global fight calendar.

“I’m keen on the Junior Fa fight because of the circumstances,” Parker said.

“If we could fight someone top five or top 10 in the UK or the US, I would rather fight there. But really a fight in New Zealand is the only option.

“There are some Australian opponents out there but to keep the ranking … he is No 6 at the WBO and undefeated … I think Junior is the best option we have, especially being in the same country in this situation.

“I think the fight can be marketed well here.”

New Zealand heavyweights Joseph Parker and Junior Fa may finally get in the ring together as professionals.
Parker remains frustrated at the slow progress with negotiations being stalled by purse disputes.

“They have been making a lot of noise but when the contract is put in front of them, they find something else they want,” Parker said.

Parker is looking fit, the result of twice-daily gym sessions. Once criticised for not being serious enough about his training between fights, he now feels he has to be careful about “over-doing it”.

“I think I have to slow down a bit. My mind keeps telling me I need to train but I need to find the right balance with a bit of rest as well.”

He has been in contact with his Las Vegas-based boxing trainer Kevin Barry and has installed more boxing-specific equipment in his home gymnasium.

Parker said he would base his training camp in New Zealand if the Fa fight is sewn up, flying in Barry and some sparring partners.