Professional Boxing in NZ
https://www.stuff.co.nz/auckland/102722197/at-least-one-person-stabbed-after-fight-breaks-out-in-downtown-auckland
(03-30-2018, 01:15 AM)justafan Wrote: https://www.stuff.co.nz/auckland/102722197/at-least-one-person-stabbed-after-fight-breaks-out-in-downtown-auckland

justafan, why is this posted? It has nothing to do with boxing, does it????????????
It was the aftermath outside the boxing event diehard
(03-30-2018, 10:34 AM)NakiFan Wrote: It was the aftermath outside the boxing event diehard

Got it. Thanks.
So it seems New Zealand Boxing News has now deleted its post...
As a "news" page its pretty disappointing to post rumours as news. I certainly can't find anyone else posting about a death.
Hopefully this all blows over quickly as nobody else seems to have linked this back to the show that was on at Cloud 10 last night. Even better scenario is that it was nothing to do with the boxing but that's not what the rumour mill is saying.
It's disappointing when the sport is set for one of its biggest weekends ever.
On a brighter note.
Gunnar Jackson TKO over James Uoka
Zane Hopman TKO over Kashif Mumtaz
Dan Tai UD over Conrad Lamb for the vacant New Zealand National Boxing Federation (NZNBF) Heavyweight Title
So that was Tai's ninth NZ title fight.
He first fought for the New Zealand National Boxing Federation (NZNBF) Light Heavyweight Title against Sean Sullivan way back in 2003.
Tai lost that fight on points
Roughly three years later in 2006 he won his first NZ title when he stopped Sam Leuii to win the vacant New Zealand National Boxing Federation (NZNBF) Heavyweight Title.
He defended it against Elisara Sii Uta later in 2006 but lost the belt on DQ to Chauncy Welliver in 2008.
In 2010 he fought for the belt again in a rematch against Chauncy but lost by UD. They had a rematch a few months later and Chauncy again won by UD.
Last year he lost to Junior Fa by MD for the New Zealand Professional Boxing Association (NZPBA) Heavyweight Title.
Last night Tai won the vacant New Zealand National Boxing Federation (NZNBF) Heavyweight Title by defeating Conrad lam by UD.
I doubt Tai has made anywhere near a fortune out of boxing (or kick boxing) and at 40 he's still turning up and winning national titles.
Finally wins his second title 12 years after his first. To me people like him are what this is sport is about.
With a record of 23-11-4 he's not one of the greats but he deserves everyones respect. People like Tai never get anything easy but they turn up and put in for little $$$ in the scheme of things and put it all on the line. Legend in my book
Conrad Lam weighed in at 197kg!!!!!
That is crazy!!!
He should put on 3kg and call himself the over 200kg champion of the world
(03-30-2018, 12:25 PM)justafan Wrote: So that was Tai's ninth NZ title fight.
He first fought for the New Zealand National Boxing Federation (NZNBF) Light Heavyweight Title against Sean Sullivan way back in 2003.
Tai lost that fight on points
Roughly three years later in 2006 he won his first NZ title when he stopped Sam Leuii to win the vacant New Zealand National Boxing Federation (NZNBF) Heavyweight Title.
He defended it against Elisara Sii Uta later in 2006 but lost the belt on DQ to Chauncy Welliver in 2008.
In 2010 he fought for the belt again in a rematch against Chauncy but lost by UD. They had a rematch a few months later and Chauncy again won by UD.
Last year he lost to Junior Fa by MD for the New Zealand Professional Boxing Association (NZPBA) Heavyweight Title.
Last night Tai won the vacant New Zealand National Boxing Federation (NZNBF) Heavyweight Title by defeating Conrad lam by UD.
I doubt Tai has made anywhere near a fortune out of boxing (or kick boxing) and at 40 he's still turning up and winning national titles.
Finally wins his second title 12 years after his first. To me people like him are what this is sport is about.
With a record of 23-11-4 he's not one of the greats but he deserves everyones respect. People like Tai never get anything easy but they turn up and put in for little $$$ in the scheme of things and put it all on the line. Legend in my book
Very well said and it's important to have these guys around the domestic scene for our younger fighters coming through.