Joshua vs Parker betting
Both sides agreed on the ref, no excuses
Parker and team and even the NZ media didn't have any real ussues with the officiating post fight so lets just leave it at that. Parker looked very tired in the last two rounds, it might have been a good thing he wasn't involved in 10 rounds of a clinch fest with a bigger stronger man.
Positives, Jo's chin held out which was great and his defense was pretty good. He didn't look to out of place in there with the bigger dominant AJ. Negatives, I have to say Jo's game plan was so shit and Kevin Barry needs a wake up call. Some of the corner talk from him was not beneficial at all. Parkers foot work, mud. We all talked about changing angles to off set AJ and that didn't happen. Inferno was correct AJ held the centre and gave parker no ground. Coming in at different levels and working the body never happened!!!! Parker just didn't have the tools offensively to trouble AJ and that because the whole camp they must have been training the wrong shit cause not once did Parker look like he was going to win. I hope Parker and Barry really look at this and rake ownership which I know Barry won't because he said" if Jo looses, its because AJ is simply the better man" he didn't take any ownership of the shit fight plan he came up with.
Jo can come back with Barry still involved but they need someone else's perspective in training too. I'd like to see Takams trainer in with Jo, someone who can help create a few more tools in his offensive game. Jo cannot counter to save himself against the taller guy because of his style of Defense. He need a slight make over.
It was a weird fight because in a lot of ways they cancelled each other out. I agree Parker needs to learn how to counterpunch because he couldnt at all tonight, and Joshua needs to learn to vary his arsenal because he was one track tonight.

The styles just didnt mesh and joshua badically won it by shoeshining parker from long range with his jab.
(04-01-2018, 07:27 PM)Infern0 Wrote: It was a weird fight because in a lot of ways they cancelled each other out. I agree Parker needs to learn how to counterpunch because he couldnt at all tonight, and Joshua needs to learn to vary his arsenal because he was one track tonight.

The styles just didnt mesh and joshua badically won it by shoeshining parker from long range with his jab.
I agree and AJ did what he needed to to win. AJ came in totally prepared and his plan worked to the button. There was a lot to like about the fight because it showed that AJ still had trouble with the limited movement Parker showed. What do you lads reckon where he went wrong offensively? 
AJ probably took inspiration from Lewis-Tua
Fight at range behind the jab against the shorter Samoan
for low risk decision victory.

Fight going the distance was a nice earner at 5-1 btw
Helped ease disappointment of Joe not winning a bit ,but the better guy on the day won anyway
and Joe is still in one piece

JP had to either
Try to work over AJ on the inside (risky anyway with AJs uppercut) the reffing style didn’t let that happen .
Or create angles with lateral movement to unbalance AJ and set up the counter.
Joe needs to develop this aspect . He can’t progress just doing the same thing .
Joe needs to learn and grow, I think Barry just drills the same stuff over and over.
(04-01-2018, 08:05 PM)bopman Wrote:
(04-01-2018, 07:27 PM)Infern0 Wrote: It was a weird fight because in a lot of ways they cancelled each other out. I agree Parker needs to learn how to counterpunch because he couldnt at all tonight, and Joshua needs to learn to vary his arsenal because he was one track tonight.

I agree and AJ did what he needed to to win. AJ came in totally prepared and his plan worked to the button. There was a lot to like about the fight because it showed that AJ still had trouble with the limited movement Parker showed. What do you lads reckon where he went wrong offensively? 

AJ barely threw his right hand, i need to rewatch and see if Parker was countering it early or something because it was conspicuously absent.

His left hook was good and his jab not bad but he needs to improve that jab imo, he pushes it out too often without snap.
Anthony Joshua v Joseph Parker: Maybe I was too cautious, laments Parker

Joseph Parker admitted he could have done more in a desperate final round as he lost his world boxing title to Anthony Joshua.

A brave Parker took Joshua the distance for the first tme in the big Brit's career but lost a unanimous points decision by a wide margin – 118-110, 118-110, 119-109.

The writing was on the wall for Parker over the championship rounds but he couldn't penetrate the armour of the classy Joshua.

He needed a knockout in the 12th and final round but it played out much like most of the fight, with Parker struggling to get on the front foot enough to pressurise Joshua into presenting an opening.

Parker said there were no stamina issues.

"I felt fit but maybe (I was) too cautious," the 26-year-old said as he analysed the loss that saw the WBO belt added to Joshua's growing collection.

"I was just trying to fight smart, maybe I was too cautious."

A disappointed Parker was his harshest critic.

He conceded he hadn't fired enough double-jabs to bring some hesitancy to Joshua who commanded the middle of the ring for most of the fight and collected points with it.

"It's learning. I could have done more, I didn't really throw all the punches that I could. I guess it's learning and coming back stronger."

Parker felt his movement was good and his body shots to Joshua were effective but he was unable to set up enough power shots to have a chance of toppling his larger opponent.

Forced to try to go to the inside, Parker wasn't helped by a referee who frequently broke up the close-range exchanges to frustrate the Kiwis who were happy to get in a slug-fest in the tight situations if necessary.

Parker said that Joshua hadn't hurt him and suggested the cut over his left eye was from a Joshua elbow.

While Parker showed good snap in his jabs and punches in general, his trainer Kevin Barry lamented more wasn't done to maximise his fighter's hand speed.

"I think Joe hit the nail on the head when we had the training camp to work on the double jab. The double jab is very important, not only for an offensive weapon but for a defensive tool and Joe sort of drifted away from that a little bit," Barry said.

They had strategised to be in the fight by the middle stages and try to surge home over the back half against an opponent they felt would weaken. To his credit, Joshua anticipated that, dropping weight and increasing his endurance.

"I thought after six rounds it was our fight to win. Joshua had a really good first four rounds, he was moving well. Five, not so much, Joe touched him a few times in the fifth and the sixth."

Barry and Parker were surprised at the margins on the judges' cards with the trainer believing some of Parker's body shots had been overlooked.

But Parker was thrilled with the experience of fighting a massive world title fight in front of a huge crowd.

"It was an amazing experience, our whole team enjoyed being here, we loved it. We've been looked after well and fighting in front of all those people was a great experience," Parker said.

He added his parents were "proud and happy" with his effort.

"We will be back again," he continued.

"If we fought again, I would work harder, be stronger and throw more punches."

Joshua felt he had cleverly out-manouvered Parker and proven his worth as a 12-round fighter when doubts had been expressed about that.

Despite being forced to go to the final bell for the first time in his career, he ranked Parker as only his third-toughest opponent behind Wladimir Klitschko and Carlos Takam.

"It is difficult when someone comes and is backing up all the time and so on and so forth. But so be it," he said.

He also felt he had proven any doubts about his speed and movement.

He said he had meant to be fighting the man with the fastest hands in the division "but I beat him to the punch every time".

He felt Parker still had a role to play.

"Joseph won't give up now, he is still young and I think we will definitely see Joseph Parker again," Joshua predicted.

"But I think just on this evening, I was more focussed, more disciplined and carried on attacking. I was the better man."

- Stuff
(04-01-2018, 08:51 PM)Infern0 Wrote:
(04-01-2018, 08:05 PM)bopman Wrote:

AJ barely threw his right hand, i need to rewatch and see if Parker was countering it early or something because it was conspicuously absent.

His left hook was good and his jab not bad but he needs to improve that jab imo, he pushes it out too often without snap.

Parker said he wanted to play it safe and coast to victory behind the jab, which he did. Yes, the ref broke them up too early, but that probably helped Parker more than AJ, with that right uppercut of his. He needed to get in, and out often. He fought too much at range.