GGG vs Canelo
https://www.boxing247.com/
Golovkin vs. Canelo – Head movement is the key

Paul Strauss - August 15, 2017 6 Comments

True boxing fans act offended by all the attention given to the Mayweather vs McGregor extravaganza coming to T-Mobile Arena, Las Vegas, NV on the Aug. 26th. For one thing, it seems to be hurting the gate and taking away from the true boxing matchup on 9-16-2017, at T-Mobile Arena between two great fighters Saul “Canelo” Alvarez (49-1-1, 34KO) and Gennady “GGG” Golovkin (37-0, 34KO). In fact, the winner of that fight might come away with the much sought after designation as P4P fighter.

Who do you want to win? Hard choice isn’t it? Even harder is, who do you expect to win? Both fighters have much to offer, and the best thing is excitement (or drama show if you prefer). The 9-16 promises more of the same. Neither one of these warriors is expected to run. Move yes, run no. Neither fighter will be wilting after the first hard shot, full well knowing there will be many more.

Undoubtedly, there will be enough lumps and bruises to go around for both fighters. Abel Sanchez, who trains GGG says he wouldn’t be surprised if one or both of these guys suffers a knockdown. He thinks they both hit that hard, and inevitably they will hurt each other. The kind of hurt he’s talking about spells real trouble.

GGG has always had that intimidation factor on his side. His string of consecutive knockouts made fear an unwanted, but definitive ingredient in his opponents game plan. They knew what happens when GGG lands his hard shots, punches that produce facial expressions that seem to imply, “Wow, what the hell was that, and why am I on the canvas!”

As soon as realization sets for these characters that they’re only part of the supporting cast in this latest drama show, they rise to their feet and try to find the nearest exit. Unfortunately, the nearest exit isn’t right or left, it’s down on the canvas. That’s when the “Show’s over.”

Okay, so GGG is the big puncher, something like 89% of his opponents go bed-ee-bye. But, Canelo has one more KO than GGG? He also has had 14 more fights, and he’s only 27 yrs old. The man from Kazakhstan is 35 yrs old. Which one has had the tougher fights? Canelo’s only loss was to Money, and that was hardly a beating. GGG was playing throw and catch with Daniel Jacobs and Kell Brook. Critics felt his weaknesses where exposed. Not certain what they are. Probably getting hit by someone who is faster than you? That’s one of those “dah” points.

Or, maybe it’s more cogent than that. The real difference between GGG and Canelo is one can and will use head movement. Somehow GGG has always managed to catch up with his opponents. He manages to get them stationary, including their heads. He couldn’t do that to the extent he needed with the more talented Jacobs.

That just might be the key to victory for Canelo. He hasn’t showed off his talent so very often, because it hasn’t really been necessary. But, you can bet come 9-17, he will be giving GGG fits at times. He will employ block-block, slip-slip, duck-duck, and block-block (the last two are to the body). The point is he is technically sound, and GGG’s drama show might have more than one act, and don’t forget Canelo’s 34 KOs. After all, a drama can often times include a series of unexpected events.

Maybe the best thing fans can hope for is an exciting, but close fight (not controversial),one that cries out for a rematch, maybe even a trilogy. Why not, we’ve had some great ones, and both of these two guys are great fighters, so why not? Just remember that old adage, “Make em miss, make em pay!” You can bet Canelo’s not going to forget it.
Amazing how nobody seems to care about this epic fight. That may change now yesterdays circus is over but still...
Really looking forward to this one!
Who is everyone picking?
It's huge. GGG all the way, although his invincibility was questioned in his last fight. I thought he lost.
I'm picking an upset with Canelo. Why? Dunno. But I just feel GGG will get tagged too much and Canelo with get the UD with a careful approach.
(08-28-2017, 11:48 AM)diehard Wrote: It's huge. GGG all the way, although his invincibility was questioned in his last fight. I thought he lost.

agree, i even think he was troubled in the brooke fight. Against guys that can box and move he struggles. Canelo has the tools to out box GGG.

Does he have the composure to not get drawn into a slugfest? not sure but he is Mexican. lol

heart GGG
Head Canelo

back on the fence for me.
Golovkin-Canelo PPV undercard set

Here’s the latest on the undercard line-up in support of the Sept. 16 showdown between WBC/WBA/IBF middleweight world champion Gennady “GGG” Golovkin (37-0, 33 KOs) and former world champion Canelo Alvarez (49-1-1, 34 KOs) in Las Vegas.

In the co-main event, Joseph “JoJo” Diaz, Jr. (24-0, 13 KOs) takes on Jorge “Pilon” Lara (29-0-2, 21 KOs) in a 12-round WBC Featherweight title eliminator.

Also on the pay-per-view telecast will be a battle between two undefeated Golden Boy stablemates as former IBF world bantamweight champion Randy “El Matador” Caballero (24-0, 14 KOs) faces Diego De La Hoya (19-0, 9 KOs) in a 10-round super bantamweight battle. Opening the telecast, lightweight contenders Ryan “Blue Chip” Martin (19-0, 11 KOs) and Francisco Rojo (20-2, 13 KOs) clash.

The non-televised undercard includes a world title bout as Jesus Rojas (25-1-2, 18 KOs) meets Claudio Marrero (22-1, 16 KOs) in a 12-rounder for the vacant WBA featherweight title. Also Vergil Ortiz (6-0, 6 KOs)will take on Cesar Valenzuela (7-1, 2 KOs) in a scheduled six-round super lightweight fight. Marlen Esparza, the 2012 Olympic Bronze Medalist will take on Tania Cosme (5-6-1, 1 KO). Serhii Bohachuk (4-0, 4 KOs) will fight in a scheduled four-round welterweight fight against an opponent that will be named shortly in the evening’s first bout.
Thumbs Up 
Hi,
Does anyone know if we in NZ are able to watch this fight live on PPV? I have searched sky's website but can see no mention of it.
Cheers
Welcome twins!  I usually check on a Friday and Saturday just prior to the fight to see if they have these quality of fights on Sky Pop Up, Channel 65 usually.  Anyway, if I hear anything one way or the other, I'll post it on this thread.
September 16, 2017
Gennady Golovkin vs. Canelo Alvarez
(WBC World middleweight title)
(WBA Super World middleweight title)
(IBF World middleweight title)

TV: PPV
Venue: T-Mobile Arena, Las Vegas, Nevada