SUPER 8 - March 28 2015, Christchurch
I guess that's the point though Craig, just because its always been a niche sport doesn't mean it has to stay that way.. If well capitalized players want to come in and create a mainstream market for boxing I don't see how that's a bad thing for the grassroots guys.....some may disagree with the method but it seems to me this is the most effective way ( fight for life, duco and now sky arena) to turn a buck out it...
(01-26-2015, 03:59 PM)craigyid14 Wrote: I have a problem with people at work thinking its proper boxing. Soon one of these unfit jokers will get seriously hurt, with these two unlikeable characters, maybe not such a bad thing. I wonder if that would knock it on the head? I don't buy how its good for making the sport grow. Boxing has always been a niche sport with the casual fans jumping on board for big fights or big fighters, now there jumping on board for talentless fat guys who get on the news. What boxing in NZ really needs is to develop a superstar who grabs the public imagination. Not an obnoxious passed it in his 20's cricketer and a fat, famous for 15 minutes nobody.

I get what you are saying and totally agree with it but the fact of the matter is right now the closest thing we have to a star is Jo Parker and while he is still fighting fights he should win easily he is not enough on his own.
Super 8 is a great concept but the reason prize fighter worked is there is hundreds of fighters in the uk that would fight for free and risk their record just to get the exposure. Even combined with oz we don't have anything close to that, hence why the next super 8 is back to cruiser.
Unless we want to see our top fighters fight in front of hundreds rather than 1000s and replayed on some tin pot tv channel that nobody watches six months after the night of the fight this sideshow stuff is needed IMO
(01-26-2015, 07:27 PM)Daneo Wrote: I guess that's the point though Craig, just because its always been a niche sport doesn't mean it has to stay that way.. If well capitalized players want to come in and create a mainstream market for boxing I don't see how that's a bad thing for the grassroots guys.....some may disagree with the method but it seems to me this is the most effective way ( fight for life, duco and now sky arena) to turn a buck out it...

I reckon its doing more harm than good, imagine if they matched Nick the Greek against Papuni, now that would be a proper fight. One to really look forward to. But how dis-heartening for the two up and coming lads would it be to be below the gimmick of Fatboy 1 versus Fatboy 2 3x2 minute rounds of schoolyard slapping on the bill? Plus its setting the trend, are people only going to do ppv or go to the venue if this type of sh1t is on the bill? Super 8 could have done well on its own (admittedly if they'd have got some fresher names and faces, fancy sticking 4 of the guys back into it who didn't make the final of the last one.) The only thing in my book fatboy 1 vs Fatboy 2 has going for it is that at least its not dwarf boxing or celebrity women's boxing.
(01-26-2015, 07:38 PM)justafan Wrote:
(01-26-2015, 03:59 PM)craigyid14 Wrote: I have a problem with people at work thinking its proper boxing. Soon one of these unfit jokers will get seriously hurt, with these two unlikeable characters, maybe not such a bad thing. I wonder if that would knock it on the head? I don't buy how its good for making the sport grow. Boxing has always been a niche sport with the casual fans jumping on board for big fights or big fighters, now there jumping on board for talentless fat guys who get on the news. What boxing in NZ really needs is to develop a superstar who grabs the public imagination. Not an obnoxious passed it in his 20's cricketer and a fat, famous for 15 minutes nobody.

I get what you are saying and totally agree with it but the fact of the matter is right now the closest thing we have to a star is Jo Parker and while he is still fighting fights he should win easily he is not enough on his own.
Super 8 is a great concept but the reason prize fighter worked is there is hundreds of fighters in the uk that would fight for free and risk their record just to get the exposure. Even combined with oz we don't have anything close to that, hence why the next super 8 is back to cruiser.
Unless we want to see our top fighters fight in front of hundreds rather than 1000s and replayed on some tin pot tv channel that nobody watches six months after the night of the fight this sideshow stuff is needed IMO
They don't fight for free in the prizefighter series in England, there's a smaller prize fund but they all get paid. I saw myself on Maori TV 2 weeks ago it was the Monty Filimaea versus Pane Haraki fight.
Yip they do get paid but the point I was making is that there depth is so strong many would probably do if for nothing if they went out first round just for the chance to be on the card.
(01-26-2015, 08:01 PM)craigyid14 Wrote:
(01-26-2015, 07:27 PM)Daneo Wrote: I guess that's the point though Craig, just because its always been a niche sport doesn't mean it has to stay that way.. If well capitalized players want to come in and create a mainstream market for boxing I don't see how that's a bad thing for the grassroots guys.....some may disagree with the method but it seems to me this is the most effective way ( fight for life, duco and now sky arena) to turn a buck out it...

I reckon its doing more harm than good, imagine if they matched Nick the Greek against Papuni, now that would be a proper fight. One to really look forward to. But how dis-heartening for the two up and coming lads would it be to be below the gimmick of Fatboy 1 versus Fatboy 2 3x2 minute rounds of schoolyard slapping on the bill? Plus its setting the trend, are people only going to do ppv or go to the venue if this type of sh1t is on the bill? Super   8 could have done well on its own (admittedly if they'd have got some fresher names and faces, fancy sticking 4 of the guys back into it who didn't make the final of the last one.) The only thing in my book fatboy 1 vs Fatboy 2 has going for it is that at least its not dwarf boxing or celebrity women's boxing.

They were offered the fight and declined - I won't say which one.
I'm sure it was Nick the Greek, who is not ready for Papuni.  Papuni would counter and time him all nite long.  Nick the Greek and Sam Rapiri would be a good one.  Fireworks.  Thanks, VADR, for trying to make these fights happen.  Looking forward to your match-ups.

Again, when is Kali fighting again.  Get a top ten guy down under for Kali.  Many thanks. 
(01-27-2015, 01:13 PM)VADR Wrote:
(01-26-2015, 08:01 PM)craigyid14 Wrote:

I reckon its doing more harm than good, imagine if they matched Nick the Greek against Papuni, now that would be a proper fight. One to really look forward to. But how dis-heartening for the two up and coming lads would it be to be below the gimmick of Fatboy 1 versus Fatboy 2 3x2 minute rounds of schoolyard slapping on the bill? Plus its setting the trend, are people only going to do ppv or go to the venue if this type of sh1t is on the bill? Super   8 could have done well on its own (admittedly if they'd have got some fresher names and faces, fancy sticking 4 of the guys back into it who didn't make the final of the last one.) The only thing in my book fatboy 1 vs Fatboy 2 has going for it is that at least its not dwarf boxing or celebrity women's boxing.

They were offered the fight and declined - I won't say which one.
Interesting, I guess you won't say how much you offered them to fight each other? Was it more or less than the farce of a fight?
One more question i'd like to ask is the first 2 promotions were made up of good quality professional boxing cards, now your only into the 3rd edition and already the crappy gimmick fights have started. Is it going to be the case that more and more 'celebrity fights' get on the bill for future events? Did you lose money on the first two promotions? Or make not enough? Haha yeah that's 3 questions.
Pretty confident it was not Papuni that turned down that fight...