Parker vs Pettaway
(01-07-2015, 10:33 AM)diehard Wrote: I think it's all more basic than that.  Pettaway has a good record, is willing to take what is on offer $$$, willing to come on over, is available, and having a style that KB would like is a bonus.

since getting KOed he has fought nobody with half a pulse. He is cashing in his chips fighting the worlds number 10 ranked contender.
Duco said they would not try to pull one over the punters eyes but then we keep getting this lmao.

They have wised up and stopped talikng like tuff buggers. They are finding outt how the boxing world is run and the reasons why some fighters take on fights. there are lessons to be learned whilst maintaining that undefeated record. I would like to see JP moving around whilst throwing some punches because he wont get anywhere near Anthony Joshua or Wlad with his current way of delivering the punches the way he does.
Like you Stormy hopefully with Pettaway we would get to see some MORE movement from Parker from ring positioning to head and footwork movement. Other than KB I hope hes surrounded by other top pros and trainers to demonstrate the importance of movement.
WBA #10 Joseph Parker departs for Las Vegas Thursday

By Ray Wheatley — World of Boxing

WBA #10, WBO #12 heavyweight Joseph Parker (12-0, 10 KOs) who will clash with Jason Pettaway (17-1, 10 KOs) on March 5, departs for Las Vegas on Thursday to train with Kevin Barry and is excited to be working with the WBA, IBF, WBO champion Wladimir Klitschko in April.

“The Klitschko camp is definitely motivation for me,” Parker said. “Just getting the welcome to the camp is a great opportunity. But I know if I can’t beat Jason then I’ll definitely have trouble with Klitschko big time. So I’m just trying my best to get past this challenge and then looking at going over and sparring Klitschko who is the best in the world. You can’t get any better than that.

“Having that in the background is going to help push my training even harder. I’ll be focused as soon as I get back to Vegas. I’ve got seven weeks to prepare. I’m really fired up to get back into my training now. I’m ready.”

“Just getting the respect from the champ asking you to come and be one of his sparring partners is awesome,” Parker said. “Watching how he operates and trains, that’s going to be a whole different level for me. He has dominated for 10 years and in that time I’ve always looked up to him as ‘the man’. “It’s going to be an exciting time … putting yourself against the champ and seeing where you are at in the sport.”

The 34-year-old American has a solid pro record of 17 wins and one loss after an extensive amateur background.

He’s noted for his movement, producing a hit and run style that can frustrate opponents. “From what I’ve seen of him, this a is a real good challenge,”

Parker says of Pettaway who certainly has size and looked to be in good shape today. “He brings different challengers than my last opponents and I’m excited about that. I see him as a bit like Brazil’s Marcelo Nascimento who I beat in Germany. I had a bit of trouble cutting off the ring, I missed with a lot of shots I shouldn’t have missed with. “Jason is a very technical fighter, there are going to be a lot of different angles and movements.”

Jason Pettaway said fighting Parker in New Zealand looms as a real challenge. All of his wins have come in his native West Virginia with his one loss to Russian Magomed Adbusalamov happening at Madison Square Garden in New York.

“It’s an honour to be here,” said Pettaway. “But I’ve come to win and take those belts back with me. It’s a great opportunity for me, a great moment. I’m coming off a busy year … this is a good time for me.”

He acknowledged Parker’s speed and skills but detected weaknesses, particularly the Kiwi’s habit of dropping his hands. “I’ve looked at a lot of Joseph’s fights and that’s given me things to work on.

“I feel like I’ll be able to distribute my punches in a way he won’t be able to hit me.”
Here's Duco's announcement of the fight:

http://www.ducoevents.co.nz/parkervspettaway/
ESB: Joseph Parker fights Jason Pettaway in March, confirmed to join Wladimir Klitschko’s camp in April
By Bryce Wilson | January 12, 2015

Rising heavyweight contender Joseph Parker’s (12-0, 10 KO’s) next fight has been announced for March 5th at Auckland’s Vodafone Events Centre, where he will face American, Jason Pettaway (17-1, 10 KO’s.)

Pettaway has been pegged by Coach Kevin Barry as something of a mover in the ring and someone who won’t remain stationary in front of his powerful protégé. Learning to effectively cut off his opponent’s space is definitely a work-on for Parker and in Pettaway they hope to have found an adversary who will test these abilities.

On paper, considering Pettaway is far lowlier ranked than Parker’s last foe Beato Costa Junior, the American may seem a strange choice of opponent for a young fighter looking to move up the rankings. Parker’s team though seem keen to replicate the schedule which worked so well for them in 2014 by beginning the year with a stay busy fight while steadily building the quality and calibre of opposition throughout the year.

There is one exciting and significant deviation from the blueprint though, as rumours have now been confirmed that Parker has accepted an offer from Wladimir Klitschko to spar with him in April, an offer Parker was forced to decline twice last year due to scheduling difficulties.

The proposition clearly excites Parker and his team, an opportunity they have been working towards for some time, not that he will be overlooking the disposal of Pettaway first, “Just getting the welcome to the camp is a great opportunity. But I know if I can’t beat Jason then I’ll definitely have trouble with Klitschko big time. So I’m just trying my best to get past this challenge and then looking at going over and sparring Klitschko who is the best in the world. You can’t get any better than that.”

Coach Kevin Barry agrees and believes the sparring will serve as the ultimate measuring stick as to how far Parker has come and what he needs to improve on. “The biggest thing is it will give us our best indication of where Joe is after two years as a pro. And it will also give us a realistic appraisal of how much work we still we have to do to compete at the highest level. Part of the plan for 2015 was to have Joe work with a big, tall guy and you can’t get anyone better than Wladimir Klitschko.”

Parker’s plan for the first half of the year seems a simple one: Chalk up a solid win against Pettaway in March, spar with Wladimir Klitschko in April and use that invaluable experience as a springboard into his July bout. Parker’s promoters Duco have already targeted this fight as the one where they hope to step Joseph up against the highest ranked opponent in his relatively short career.

Depending on how the results pan out one imagines that the latter part of 2015 will see a schedule packed with Parker facing a steady stream of increasingly dangerous opponents as finishing the year ranked within the top ten of all four major organisations is something which Coach Kevin Barry stated as an immediate objective at the close of 2014.

If everything goes according to plan by the end of the next 12 month cycle we should know a lot more about Joseph Parker and the place he occupies in the burgeoning line of millennial pretenders aiming to ascend to the throne of the heavyweight division.

You can follow Joseph at: http://www.twitter.com/joeboxerparker
That Polish bloke is on the undercard again - Izu Ugonoh (10-0) - not sure who he's fighting though. He's moved up to Heavyweight but I can't see it being a kiwi as none would test him. Could be an Aussie to try sell more PPV over there?
THE BURGER KING ROAD TO THE TITLE

JOSEPH PARKER V JASON PETTAWAY
Thursday 5 March 2015, 6:00pm
The Vodafone Events Centre, Auckland
JOIN US

New Zealand Heavyweight Champion, Joseph Parker kicks off his year back on home soil, taking on American challenger Jason Pettaway, at the Vodafone Events Centre, Auckland on March 5th.

Jason Pettaway is on a winning streak having won his last six fights, brutally KO’ing his last opponent in round one, and has an impressive record of 17-1. With over 100 amateur fights prior to turning pro, he is convinced his experience will take him the distance against New Zealand’s golden boy Parker.

Pettaway has a bullish, aggressive style and likes to jump on his opponents early. He poses an intriguing challenge for Parker because of his technical abilities, including a brutal count punch.

This sensational fight night will also feature local and international talent along with the infamous Brown Buttabean. 

[Image: booknow.png]

EVENT DETAILS
DATE: Thursday 5 March, 2015
CORPORATE DOORS OPEN: 6:00pm
ALLOCATED SEATING DOORS OPEN: 6:30pm
FIRST BOUT: 7:00pm
EVENT CONCLUDES: 11:30pm
VENUE: Vodafone Events Centre, 770 Great South Road, Manukau
DRESS CODE: Formal dress
BROADCAST: Live on SKY ARENA, PAY-PER-VIEW

THE LINEUP
HEADLINE FIGHT - JOSEPH PARKER VS JASON PETTAWAY
10 x 3 minute rounds

JOSEPH PARKER
- Record - Won: 12 (KO 10), Lost: 0 = 12 
- Height:  6’4” / 192 cm 
- New Zealand Heavyweight Champion
- Ranked WBA #10, WBO #12
- Holds WABA-PABA Interim and WBO Oriental titles
- Hopes to enter the World top 5 in 2015
- Has been sought out as a sparring partner by Wladimir Klitschko

VS

JASON "PUT EM AWAY" PETTAWAY
- Record: Won: 17 (KO 10), Lost: 1, = 18 
- Height: 6’3" / 190 cm 
- Has had over 100 amateur fights before turning pro 
- Has power in both hands and is a threatening counter puncher 
- On a winning streak having won his last five fights
Any news on the undercard yet?
Reece Pupuni and Buttabean so far.
I'd like to see Reece knock buttabean out, then hopefully we'd never hear from him again. More likely he fights some blob (buttabean that is.)