Parker vs Hughie Fury
(02-04-2017, 11:24 PM)Infern0 Wrote: One thing about Hughie though, he legitimatley looks like a different person now he's got his medical issues sorted, he looked like he had the bubonic plague before.

Remains to be seen if it will make a difference in the ring

[Image: 33B235F800000578-3567693-image-m-54_1462098055249.jpg]

[Image: ejYxVu.gif]
oh thats nasty
Spoiled my breakfast..
but yeah

[Image: C3qTGX4W8AEGKSW.jpg:large]
I haven't sat down and watched much of Hughie at all. Lots of folks seem to rate him/ like his amateur experience etc. But looking at his record, this seems like a huge step up for him.

In Parker's last ten fights, the worst w/l/d record was Bergman: 25 11 2. That would be one of the better resumes in Hughie's last ten- only Rudenko and Kassi look better on that basis than Parker's worst.

Similarly, Parker KOd everyone but Takam and Ruiz from his last 10 (i.e. Only the 2 top 20 guys made it to the end of the fight). Whereas Hughie has a poor KO record for a HW with 10 KO wins overall out of 20 total. But even that poor ratio looks worse if you dig a bit deeper. He has only KO'd 4 of his last 10. And looking at those 4 guys, it looks like they were all brought in just to keep his numbers up: Hughies last KO was vs Larry Olubamiwo - Hughie's fight was the guys 18th in a row that he'd lost (apart from one case where he'd lucked onto a DQ win). Prior to that: His previous KO was vs Zarate, a guy that had won 18 out of 35 in total, and only 3 of his prior 10 fights. Matthew Greer was the target before that, who had a 16 from 27 ratio going in, but had lost 6 of the prior 10 by KO, & has gone on to be beaten by just about everyone in the division. Geheshidze had won 5 of his previous 10, but all 5 came in with losing records...

I'm no expert, but looks like they have had to try REALLY hard to get ANY KOs on Hughies recent record....
The statistics dont tell the full story.

Dominic Guinn for example is several levels above Jason Bergman regardless of what their numbers are, Guinn has just fought top level guys where bergman built an ok record fighting guys in high school gyms.

Likewise as for the KO ratio, again i mention Guinn, he never gets stopped. And there are quite a few names like that on hughies resume. Even someone like Moses Matoovu, who to casual fans looks like a bum with his record, notice that in 64 losses, he has been stopped only 7 times. He is a survival expert. Hughie has faced awkward, frustrating fighters who Peter Fury has selected to not give hughie an easy development.

That being said, parker has considerably more power, that isnt a question.

HOWEVER, parker in my opinion hasnt fought even one opponent who i would describe as a skilled boxer. He didnt fight any coming up, and ruiz and takam are high level brawlers.

Hughie has attributes that parker has not faced such as elite level movement, ability to fight at long range, top level jab, inside and outside game, good body work, accuracy etc. Parker hasn't ever faced these attributes in the pro's and he was troubled by them and lost fights by being outboxed in the amateurs. His entire pro career, he has been put in with opponents who are very favorable style matchups for him, this time that is not the case.

Hughie seems to have a good chin, and defensivley hes a lot more elusive than takam and ruiz, who parker never hurt. So there is a scenario here where parker finds it difficult to find hughie, and with parkers lack of head movement or defence, he could end up walking into the jab and getting sliced up.

Of course on the flipside hughies chin may not be as good as i think and he might not be able to handle it when parker does land.

But hughie is no Dimitrenko, he's not going to stand upright with no defence and let parker bomb him away, he's going to be moving around the ring, FAST, moving his head and pumping a very good jab. He will come with ambition, he has sparred with Tyson Fury for years, as well as his sparring partners, Steve Cunningham, eddie chambers etc. So skill wise, parker won't have anything he hasn't seen before.

The truth is we dont know enough about hughie fury to know whats going to happen, but I think stylistically he has enough to cause joe problems, the question is how much he can go up the gears for a big fight, because if he's (like tyson) been fighting to the level of his opponents, this could be a long night for joe.
Nice piece of analysis.

I'd agree that Guinn fits into the picture as someone who is a lot stronger than his W/L ratio, & 1:1 it's not fair to compare individual fighters on that basis. But you can look at fight history and see that Hughie has fought a number of truly dreadful fighters too.

It's really easy to buy into the "Peter Fury is a boxing genius" argument so of course everything he's done for Hughie is about crafting a huge skillset to ensure he'd become a dominant champion one day.

But he's also set up a HW son with no power and very little fan support into the position to earn almost £1million for a fight while still being a largely unproven prospect. And if he loses, it was against a HW champ, and he's still young, so there are plenty of other money fights that would still follow. That is a damn impressive place to have gotten him to. Perhaps the boxing genius is being directed towards a different end?

Like I say, I haven't studied Hughie yet, so I don't really have a strong opinion on the extent of his skills yet. Just tend to start from a cynical perspective then try to be convinced.
Home advantage again will spice Jo up, but of course he wont have all the advantages as in height reach and movability etc; Hughie however seems to believe in himself, and that might tip the scales. Not to say Jo doesn't believe in himself, but its appeared to me that maybe ducos nz hype has undermined the majority of his opponents with maybe Ruiz exception. The Ruiz/Parker fight though ended with a controversial decision.
Smile 
QUESTION......Will Peter Fury need a special Visa to enable him to come to New Zealand?????
I will be interested in finding out who Jo will be sparring in prep for Hughie. I can't see it being too easy to find guys that are taller than Joe, move and jab very well, and are available. Good sparring partners will be key for Joe, like Infern0 said, JP hasn't faced anyone like Hughie before.