Wilder vs Stiverne, January 17th
Yep, reminded me of Tua vs Lewis also, Thepaulz. Jamieson, thanks for the rounds! I see what Stormy means by Wilder being wild...Stiverne had opportunities when he was in close but didn't fire. Why take all those shots, get in range, and then do nothing? Wilder has too many deficiencies to beat Klit. Klit would find opportunities when Wilder started to get wild, and KO him. Tyson Fury vs Wilder should be a good one though.

At the post interview, Stiverne said he was just flat, and couldn't fire. Said it wasn't mental, but physical? No, it was mental.
Wilder decisions Stiverne to win WBC heavyweight title

By David Robinett and Miguel Maravilla at ringside

Undefeated Deontay Wilder (33-0, 32 KOs) won a twelve round unanimous decision to dethrone WBC heavyweight champion Bermane Stiverne (24-2-1, 21 KOs) in front of an announced crowd of 8,453 on Saturday night at the MGM Grand Garden Arena in Las Vegas. Wilder got off to a good start working the jab. Stiverne started coming on in round four, but Wilder landed a number of big shots in round five. The action see-sawed again in round six as Stiverne did the better work. Wilder staggered Stiverne in round seven. Stiverne took hellacious punches but the bout continued. Stiverne amped in up to take round eight. Wilder did more in round nine. Not much happened the last three rounds. Scores were 118-109, 119-108, 120-107. Wilder becomes the first American heavyweight champion since Shannon Briggs in 2007.
...and this:

Wilder decisions Stiverne; Santa Cruz defeats Ruiz

By Rob Smith | January 17, 2015 | 235 Comments

Deontay Wilder (33-0, 32 KOs) kept his unbeaten record but he was extended for the first time in his career in having to go the distance to defeat WBC heavyweight champion Bermane Stiverne (24-2-1, 21 KOs) by a 12 round unanimous decision in front of 8,300 boxing fans at the MGM Grand in Las Vegas, Nevada.

Wilder, 6’7”, hurt Stiverne in the 2nd and 7th rounds with big right hand shots. However, he was unable to finish him off. Wilder was arguably robbed of a knockdown in the 2nd when he staggered Stiverne with a right hand, causing him to stumble and fall.

While falling, Stiverne pulled Wilder down with him. Referee Tony Weeks blew the call and ruled that it wasn’t a knockdown even though it seemed pretty clear that Stiverne was knocked down. Deontay tried arguing with Weeks but he wouldn’t reverse the call.

Stiverne had his moments in rounds 5 and 8, as he landed some big shots to the head and body of Wilder. The punches weren’t enough to do any real damage though. Each time Stiverne would have some moments, Wilder would come back with his long jab to spear him from the outside, and then nail him with some monstrous right hands.

From rounds 9 through 12, Wilder appeared to be basically coasting. He jabbed frequently and circled the ring to avoid Stiverne’s big power shots. For the most part, Deontay looked tired and rarely threw right hands from that point on.

The MGM crowd booed periodically starting in the 11th round due to the slow pace of the fight. They wanted to see Deontay shoot for the knockout, but he was far too tired to muster up more than a small handful of right hands. The punches were still powerful enough to knockout most heavyweights in the division, but Stiverne took the shots well.

In the 12th, Stiverne tried to push the action in pressuring Deontay, but it was useless. Deontay stayed close and leaned on Stiverne for most of the round, and prevented him from being able to get any real leverage on his shots.

The final judges’ scores were 118-109, 119-108, 120-107.

Other boxing action on tonight’s card:

Leo Santa Cruz TKO 8 Jesus Ruiz
Amir Imam TKO 5 Fidel Maldonado Jr
Vyacheslav Shabranskyy RTD 9 Garrett Wilson
Eric Molina TKO 8 Raphael Zumbano Love
Pretty disappointed in Stivernes effort. And his post fight nonsense. You weren't in it, fine, accept that the better dude won on the night. Unfortunately.

Wilder. Can't stand his attitude. I get it, excitement to the heavies or something. Tone it down. Post fight interview was the only time he appealed as a person. In the ring however, he was impressive. Got hit a few times and took it well, got taken past round 4 and took it well. Was patient and took it well. Almost a completely different person, impressive.

Interesting times.
(01-18-2015, 08:37 PM)diehard Wrote: Tyson Fury vs Wilder should be a good one though.

I almost made a comment about this. I would say Tyson Fury is better off waiting for his shot a K. Not that I think he has any better chance of winning, but because he will get more 'chances'. K will drag it out 10 rounds to please the fans, and give Fury a few lessons along the way. Wilder will fly off the handle the first chance he gets and we know Tyson doesn't have the chin for it.
I would like to see Wilder vs Joshua. Wilder did run out of steam early in the fight but Stiverne had no go to do anything... Then Wilder got second wind and did actually do ok behind his jab.
The best would be an unification of titles between Wladimir Klitschko and Deontay wilder.... one more time an american might bring the glory to USA from Mike Tyson or Evander Holyfield or it would be the consecration of wladimir klitschko as one of the best heavyweight boxers of the history .....
I'd love to see the US vs UK, Fury vs Wilder. Very similar. Power, size, suspect chins. Winner faces Klit after he demolishes Jennings.
Wilder, Stiverne post-fight quotes

Newly crowned WBC heavyweight champion Deontay Wilder and former beltholder Bermane Stiverne spoke to Showtime’s Jim Gray in the ring following Wilder’s twelve round unanimous decision to become the last American to win a version of the heavyweight title since 2006.

Deontay Wilder: “I’m just happy to bring this belt back to America officially…I think I answered a lot of questions tonight. We knew we could go twelve rounds, we knew we could take a punch, we knew we could give it. All the hard work was done in camp…I just wanted to show the world what Deontay Wilder was capable of and I think I proved that tonight. I don’t want nobody to doubt me no more.”

Bermane Stiverne: “It wasn’t my night. I didn’t feel 100%. Once I got in the ring, I couldn’t cut the ring. Couldn’t move my head like normal. I won’t take anything away from him. I just wasn’t able to do what I wanted and needed to do.”
It was a styles thing that was working against you Stiverne. Simple mathmatics, coupled with a poor fight plan adds up to what i kind of expected to see.

Wilder took a few gooduns along the way, and he gave more than he got by a wide margin.

Stiverne did well to get to the title. He will be doing really really well to get it back again.

It is what it is.