NZBoxChat
NZ boxing - News,Views and gossip. - Printable Version

+- NZBoxChat (https://nzboxchat.co.nz)
+-- Forum: NZBoxChat (https://nzboxchat.co.nz/forumdisplay.php?fid=1)
+--- Forum: NZBoxChat (https://nzboxchat.co.nz/forumdisplay.php?fid=2)
+--- Thread: NZ boxing - News,Views and gossip. (/showthread.php?tid=778)

RE: NZ boxing - News,Views and gossip. - diehard - 02-26-2023

The confirmed card for BOXXER Fight Night: Manchester is as follows – with more to come: 12 x 3 mins WBO World Cruiserweight Championship Lawrence Okolie vs David Light 10 x 3 mins Vacant English Super-Featherweight Contest Michael Gomez Jr vs Levi Giles 8 x 3 mins Heavyweight Contest Frazer Clarke vs Rydell Booker 6 x 2 mins Featherweight Contest Karriss Artingstall vs Linzi Buczynski 6 x 3 mins Super-Middleweight Contest Callum Simpson vs TBA 8 x 3 mins Middleweight Contest Aaron McKenna vs TBA 6 x 3 mins Welterweight Contest Samuel Antwi vs TBA 6/8 x 3 mins Featherweight Contest Rhys Edwards vs Brian Phillips 4 x 3 mins Super Welterweight Contest Harvey Lambert vs TBA The event takes place Saturday, March 25 and will be broadcast live on Sky Sports in the UK and Republic of Ireland.

Source: Lawrence Okolie Vs David Light Undercard Announced - Boxing News 24/7 (https://www.boxing247.com/press-boxing/lawrence-okolie-vs-david-light/6897)

RE: NZ boxing - News,Views and gossip. - diehard - 03-06-2023

AT A GLANCE - FIGHT FOR LIFE 2023

Charity: Mike King’s I Am Hope

Professional bouts:

IBO Super Bantamweight World Title: Mea Motu (NZ 15-0-0) v Tania Walters (CAN 4-1-0)

IBF Middleweight Pan Pacific Title and WBO Middleweight Global Title: Andrei Mikhailovich (NZ 19-0-0) v Edisson Saltarin (VNZ, 16-0-0)

Light heavyweight professional fight: Jerome Pampellone (NZ,15-0-0) v Mose Auimatagi (NZ, 15-2-2)

Rugby League v Rugby Union bouts:

Justin Hodges (Aus) v Liam Messam (NZ)

Roy Asotasi (NZ) v Sam Tuitupou (NZ)

Sione Faumuina (NZ) v DJ Forbes (NZ)

RE: NZ boxing - News,Views and gossip. - bart - 03-06-2023

Some great fights there
In the rugby v league
Messam should be too good for Hodges
Slamin Sam v Asotasi should be a cracker
Forbes may be too fit for Sione

RE: NZ boxing - News,Views and gossip. - diehard - 03-06-2023

Finally, between this and the Tszyu fight, I found boxing matches I will enjoy soon.

RE: NZ boxing - News,Views and gossip. - bart - 03-06-2023

yeah been abit barren lately

RE: NZ boxing - News,Views and gossip. - diehard - 03-15-2023

https://www.boxing247.com/press-boxing/lawrence-okolie-vs-david-light/6897

RE: NZ boxing - News,Views and gossip. - diehard - 03-21-2023

New Zealander contender David Light is vowing to shock the world on Saturday night, when he faces WBO cruiserweight world champion Lawrence Okolie.

The mandatory contest takes place at the AO Arena in Manchester.

Light earned the shot back in December, when he overcame a final round knockdown to win a split decision victory over Brandon Glanton.

"I meet people and I have to explain to them and like really convince them that I'm a professional boxer, they just don't think that that's what I am," Light said to Sky Sports. "People are always writing me off. Something that I've really started to enjoy is proving people wrong."

Okolie, regarded by some pundits as the top man at the weight, is a tremendous favorite to hand Light his first career defeat.

The champion has looked dominant, with 14 of his 18 wins being secured inside the distance.

Light has a lot of respect for Okolie, but he's not the least bit worried about the odds. The underdog has studied Okolie and his style for years.

"It was the same thing [with Glanton]. I came in as the underdog," Light said. "I was really the underdog. Real credit to the judging of the WBO, they saw it the way I thought it was and gave me the win. I was really stoked for that.

"We've had our eye on Okolie for a few years. We knew this was happening and we've been preparing for it for a few years now. I've known that this is what it was going to be.

"[Okolie] got bits that he can be exploited too. He's obviously got a massive right hand, he's got the height and he uses his height. He can avoid danger in that way."

RE: NZ boxing - News,Views and gossip. - diehard - 03-23-2023

https://www.stuff.co.nz/sport/combat-sports/131557126/david-light-delusional-says-wbo-champ-lawrence-okolie

RE: NZ boxing - News,Views and gossip. - diehard - 04-25-2023

Kiwi boxer Andrei Mikhailovich rages in face-off days before Fight for Life
Bonnie Jansen

Kiwi boxer Andrei ‘Renegade’ Mikhailovich is days away from his first fight in nine months and time out of the ring has only heightened his desire to win.

On Thursday, Mikhailovich (19-0-0) will face Venzula’s Eddison Saltarin (16-0-0) in 10 three-minute rounds, fighting for the IBF Pan Pacific Middleweight Title and WBO Global Middleweight Title at the Fight for Life at Auckland’s Eventfinda Stadium.

Like most boxers, Mikhailovich is never shy of spinning a few words towards his opponent in the lead-up to a clash. The Kiwi, who almost constantly maintains a confident mantra, is aware precisely of what drives his passion and feistiness.

Walking off a press conference podium on Monday where Mikhailovich stared down, then twice shoved his opponent, a visibly fired up Mikhailovich told the Herald: “I was adopted – f*** that: I come from nothing, I’m here to win.”

The Russian-born New Zealander said he had “a great upbringing” after he and his twin were adopted from a Russian orphanage in 1999. But the Kiwi-raised fighter – who has won several national titles – says his “feistiness” is a result of childhood.

“That adoption is that coal-burning fire that’s always there. It’s a part I don’t really like about myself.

“But I’m the king, you know, and I got to write my own scripts – this is all a part of my life and it is what it is,” Mikhailovich said.

He said “100%” the Russian in him – “the Russian rules” – define him as an athlete.

And the Aucklander is certainly not doubting the fact he’ll get the job done.

The IBF world number five says he’s an “inch away from a world title.”

“This is another man [Saltarin], it’s another pawn on my chess board, and I’m the chess master.”

“I’m going to knock him the f*** out. If he tries anything f***ing silly, I’m going hurt him, I’m going to break his ribs,” he said. “I’m going to make this little vacation of his f***ing so short and he’s gonna go home to his amigos – it’s just go time.”

His coach, Isaac Peach, also backs Mikhailovich.

“Andrei hasn’t fought in ages, he’s been ready for the last nine months,” Peach said in the pre-fight press conference. “Doesn’t matter who you put in front of Andrei,” said Peach. “He’s going to put him to sleep.”

Mikhailovich spoke of his sacrifice to get here: “I’ve trained so hard for this fight, I’ve lost so much weight – I’m just so hungry to do this now.”

“I’ve been out of the ring so long bro – I’m just hungry. I f***ing want to eat, man.”

Mea Motu (NZ) (15-0-0) v Tania Walters (CAN) (4-1-0)

Rugby League v Rugby Union

Justin Hodges (Aus) (5-3-0) v Liam Messam (NZ) (5-0-0)

IBF Pan Pacific Middleweight Title + WBO Global Middleweight Title

Andrei Mikhailovich (NZ) (19-0-0) v Edisson Saltarin (VEN) (16-0-0)

Rugby Union v Rugby League

DJ Forbes v Sione Faumuina

Light Heavyweight Professional Fight

Jerome Pampellone (NZ) (15-0-0) v Mose Auimatagi (15-2-2)

Rugby Union v Rugby League

Sam Tuitupou v Roy Asotasi

RE: NZ boxing - News,Views and gossip. - diehard - 04-28-2023

Fight For Life 2023: Mea Motu claims IBO super bantamweight world title with win over Tania Walters
NZ Herald
27 Apr, 2023 11:04 PM

Mea Motu has secured her place at the top of world boxing.

Headlining the Fight For Life card in Auckland on Thursday night, Motu proved too good for Canadian counterpart Tania Walters, claiming the IBO super bantamweight world title by unanimous decision after 10 rounds.

Motu established herself as the aggressor early in the fight, throwing combinations with power and staying active to bank rounds early.

Walters weathered the initial storm from Motu and began to work her way into the bout as things went on, however Motu continued to edge rounds through her volume as she mixed her targets between head and body well.

Needing to finish the fight late, Walters came on strong in the ninth round and looked to have Motu hurt with a good left hook late in the round, but Motu came back strong to close out the win, with the judges scoring the bout 98-92, 96-94 and 99-91.

It caps off a remarkable journey in the sport for Motu, and one she has been open about leading up to the bout.

“It means everything. I wanted to give up on life. I had the worst mental health ever back then and boxing saved me; Peach Boxing saved my life and brought me back. Thank you,” Motu told Sky Sport after the fight.

It was the first time in Fight For Life history that women had headlined the card, and it capped off a night to please the fans.

In the other professional bouts, Motu’s Peach Boxing teammates Andrei Mikhailovich and Jerome Pampellone both claimed emphatic TKO wins to improve their respective undefeated records.

IBF world No. 5 middleweight Mikhailovich had some early trouble as he was dropped in the opening moments of the first round, but adjusted well against his Venezuelan opponent Edisson Saltarin to finish the fight in the fifth round.

Pampellone, ranked No. 9 in the world by the IBF, didn’t need as long to hand Mose Auimatagi Jr his third professional loss, landing a strong left hook in the first round and pouncing on his opportunity to finish the fight.

In the corporate bouts, Sam Tuitupou kicked things off with the most vicious finish of the night, catching Roy Asotasi with a few clean shots in the opening exchanges to knock Asotasi out.

In a back-and-forth fight, Sione Faumuina edged out DJ Forbes by unanimous decision after a strong third round, while Liam Messam claimed a unanimous decision win over Justin Hodges.