NZBoxChat
Cameron/Fa/Thunder/Wolfgramm - Printable Version

+- NZBoxChat (https://nzboxchat.co.nz)
+-- Forum: NZBoxChat (https://nzboxchat.co.nz/forumdisplay.php?fid=1)
+--- Forum: NZBoxChat (https://nzboxchat.co.nz/forumdisplay.php?fid=2)
+--- Thread: Cameron/Fa/Thunder/Wolfgramm (/showthread.php?tid=716)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5

RE: Cameron/Fa/Thunder/Wolfgramm - Ibeabuchi - 07-03-2019

(07-03-2019, 04:22 PM)diehard Wrote:
(07-03-2019, 04:10 PM)Dannyboy Wrote: Tua by far NZ's best ever HW fighter.... Meehan/Cameron/Thunder/Wolfgramm were all great Heavies too, but none had what David had.

Shane should have stayed at Cruiser. Was a very tough competitor.
Jimmy was a little one dimensional and got exposed up against smart boxers. But KO power to burn.
Paea was a strong boxer but lacked the movement. Great boxing brain and durable for a big man.
Khali was a late developer but got better with age. KO'd early in his career as an amateur by David Tua, but turned Pro and got better and better.
David's career was skyrocketing until the inhouse management scandal. Should have postponed the fight against Lewis. it would have been a completely different fight if his head was in the game. Was never right after the lengthy court battle. Such a shame and waste of one of the hardest hitting, and exciting HW's ever to not win a World Title. He really deserved it and proved it by beating many previous and future world champions.

All in all, NZ has been blessed with some great Heavies who have had their fair share of World limelight over the last couple of decades. They should all be commended for what they have achieved. Im glad I have been lucky enough to share the dressing room with all these guys. Both as a fighter and teammate.

Yep, Tua clearly the best NZ heavyweight ever.  If he had stayed with Duva, he would have gotten a world title belt.

What would it take for you to consider Joe our best ever heavyweight?

RE: Cameron/Fa/Thunder/Wolfgramm - bart - 07-03-2019

Beating a higher ranked fighter who is rated
Luis Ortiz
Dillion Whyte
etc
then one of the champs

RE: Cameron/Fa/Thunder/Wolfgramm - diehard - 07-03-2019

One could argue that he got a belt, and Tua didn't. But Tua beat 5 future world champs. But I'd say if Joe beat Whyte or AJ (if he beat Ruiz in the rematch) would make me think he was at Tua's level.

Tua got lucky in that Rahman fight though, he was getting outboxed comprehensively until he landed that shot after the bell. Ruiz was a devastating win, who were the other 3?

Moorer
Fres Q

that was the ghost of Moorer in there. Fres was a average/good win although once again he was outboxed for 90% of the fight

Ghost or not it was an impressive KO
Fres I agree
Wondering out loud but wonder what would have happened if he fought other elites of his era
Tyson
Bowe
Holyfield

even Golota could have been fun

A prime Tyson would have eaten Tua alive but post Douglas/Jail David has every chance of stopping him. Golota didnt have the chin or heart to mix it with Tua

RE: Cameron/Fa/Thunder/Wolfgramm - diehard - 07-03-2019

A Tua with Duva in his corner (meaning he's in prime shape) was a 50/50 fight with Tyson. Golota and Tua were sparring partners under Duva. As was Holyfield. Must of been some good sparring!

RE: Cameron/Fa/Thunder/Wolfgramm - Dannyboy - 07-04-2019

Have witnessed some of the sparring between David and Holyfield. Took along time for both fighters to suss each other out.

Holyfield was awesome from the outside and counter. But then David would land big shots and seriously knock Holyfield into next week.

They both counted each other well, it was by far the best sparring I've ever seen.

Parker, although has won a World Title, I still believe he is not at his best as yet. I'd like to think he will be second only to David Tua on the NZ best ever Heavyweight list.