NZBoxChat
Joshua vs Parker betting - Printable Version

+- NZBoxChat (https://nzboxchat.co.nz)
+-- Forum: NZBoxChat (https://nzboxchat.co.nz/forumdisplay.php?fid=1)
+--- Forum: NZBoxChat (https://nzboxchat.co.nz/forumdisplay.php?fid=2)
+--- Thread: Joshua vs Parker betting (/showthread.php?tid=456)

RE: Joshua vs Parker betting - bart - 01-20-2018

Tendency to cut? really only remember Tatapu head clash which was horrible cut but has he opened up again since?

RE: Joshua vs Parker betting - diehard - 01-20-2018

And AJ has a tendency to get knocked down. Nah, I think Parker catches him in the first four rounds and KO's him, or he gets beat up and stopped sometime after that. Cuts, beaten up, knocked down, etc. AJ is just too strong and talented. So, Joe needs to catch him early before he gets into his groove.

RE: Joshua vs Parker betting - Infern0 - 01-20-2018

(01-20-2018, 08:38 PM)Nablonicasso Wrote: Has a tendency? Bit of a stretch really only recall one cut from a head clash with King Afa - in fact he seems to come through most fights relatively unscathed for someone with such poor defensive and head movement  (apparently)

But yes I see your point AJ's uppercut can split a log in two and they will look to stop the fight if Joe is still standing late with a 'mountain warrior' face

He does have poor D and head movement. Andy Ruiz was soundly outboxing him until he started to tire in the second half for a short guy with short reach to be able to do that demonstrates very poor defence.

RE: Joshua vs Parker betting - diehard - 01-21-2018

https://www.stuff.co.nz/sport/other-sports/100718307/lessons-learned-from-david-tua-will-help-joseph-parker-deal-with-anthony-joshua

How Joseph Parker's clever ploy secured a showdown with Anthony Joshua

Anthony Joshua and his promoter Eddie Hearn held all the aces as negotiations began in early November last year to create a heavyweight unification fight with Joseph Parker. We now know it will take place at the Principality Stadium on March 31.

Joshua had beaten Carlos Takam in Cardiff in October, retaining his WBA, IBF and IBO belts. A month earlier, Parker had travelled to Manchester from New Zealand, via his training camp in Las Vegas, and held on to his WBO crown as he earned a majority points decision over Hughie Fury, the younger cousin of Tyson Fury.

Parker's plan was to make a statement against Fury. But it was a drab affair. Neither champion had looked overly impressive in their respective defences. And yet Joshua's fight, despite being against an 11th-hour replacement, drew 80,000 spectators and pay-per-view numbers of around 600,000 on Sky Box Office.

The problem for Parker's promotional team of David Higgins and PR head Craig Stanaway, at Auckland based Duco Events, was that Joshua had earned what the Sunday Telegraph has learnt was close to £20 million ($NZ38 million) for the fight against Takam.

That meant Hearn would have to negotiate hard for a massive split of the purse if his next encounter was to be a unification bout, either against Parker, or the WBC champion Deontay Wilder.

David Higgins pulled off a coup in clinching Joseph Parker's world heavyweight title unification fight with Anthony Joshua.

While the Watford fighter and his promoter claimed they were aiming to unify the belts in 2018, behind the scenes it is thought they may have settled for an easier, non-unification fight.

But what helped Duco Events, The Sunday Telegraph has learnt, was that Sky Box Office executives were keen for a unification battle, and Wilder was asking for too much. It opened the door to the New Zealanders.

Hearn had proclaimed after the Joshua-Takam fight that it would be "Parker, Wilder and Fury in 2018". It painted him into a corner because the British public would expect nothing less. A defence against Alexander Ustinov or Christian Hammer would have been an embarrassment.

So Duco Events focused on the 'glass jaw' angle to build Parker's profile and pile pressure on the Joshua camp, with a video on YouTube designed to go viral. The press conference to launch the video, showing Joshua being knocked down, was streamed on Facebook.

The feed was poor, but it helped land the fight. Had the feed been perfect, Duco Events probably would not have gained the infamy they did. The Sun panned the Facebook feed, prompting British fans to flock to the internet to find the press conference. It was a momentum-changer: Hearn came under pressure to sign the fight.

"We had always targeted Joshua, and the fight with Fury in Manchester was part of the plan," explained Parker's promoter, David Higgins.

"We needed a campaign. A J was already a star. Joseph is becoming a star. So we had a three-point plan to get stuck into Joshua, to call him out. We talked about his chin, we pushed the theme that Joseph is mentally tougher, never rattled and that he has greater hand speed.

"Joseph has never been off his feet. We knew Joshua had been down several times, and that he has a vulnerable chin. What we couldn't believe is that no other opponents had ever talked about it. So we went loud and we went public, and they didn't like it."

As they pushed back and forth on contracts, they were negotiating to come up with a venue fee to increase Parker's purse, now understood to be around £7 million ($NZ13.3 million) for the March 31 contest. Joshua is expected to earn close to £18 million ($NZ34.2 million).

"The venue potentially had big economic value, worth tens of millions to the location, so we talked to various places," said Higgins, who had come up with Dubai and Barcelona FC's Nou Camp as potential venues. Cardiff came up. Twickenham, and cities in Germany were also touted.

Hearn, though, was playing hardball. Although he told The Telegraph on Dec 16 that he expected "to sit down for Christmas lunch with the fight signed", that was not how Higgins saw it.

In fact, after an opening email from Hearn, Higgins said the British promoter "had made the most ridiculously low offer. It could have been the most insulting offer in boxing history."

Higgins told The Sunday Telegraph: "We targeted getting a fair ratio for the fight, and we looked into Joshua's chin. The fair ratio bothered them, as did public discussion of Joshua's fragile chin. We believe Joshua was mentally rattled."

Duco Events said they were negotiating to sign Australian Lucas Browne to fight Parker. It was a bluff, a standby.

They still wanted Joshua. A victory over him would secure a massive second fight and a mammoth payday - there is a rematch clause, so if Parker does win he is contractually obliged to face Joshua again - and, of course, it would give New Zealand's first heavyweight world champion three of the principal belts. "We knew Joshua had the ambition of unifying the belts, so politics would probably not get in the way," Higgins explained.

As Parker told The Sunday Telegraph in an exclusive interview last week, with three undefeated belt-holders, and a fourth undefeated fighter in the returning Tyson Fury, "it would be travesty if the four did not all fight each other. We have the opportunity to really see who the No 1 in the world is."

Higgins added: "It's a wonderful era for heavyweight boxing. There are many contenders and champions evenly matched. I think we're going to see a period of close and exciting fights and rematches, and hopefully unification and one champion rising to the top. All the greats put it on the line. Many took losses. Evander Holyfield, Mike Tyson. That's because they were fighting the best and wanted to fight the best.

"Hopefully we're going to see that come to the fore again. Joshua, Wilder, Parker, Tyson, they genuinely do want to fight each other. The promoters have a part to play. My view is everyone should just be fair."

- The Telegraph, London

Interesting take on how Parker beats AJ on Eastside. Thread was started by our very own Kiwi:

He'll need to get off first which I believe he can do, but then he needs to either clinch or move after throwing. He normally doesn't do this, he throws then stays right in front of his opponent to be countered.

He needs to counter punch when forced onto the back foot instead of being completely defensive which allowed Takam and Ruiz to force him back whenever they liked. If you know nothing is coming back from a moving target you'll just keep coming forward, keeping them from throwing. But he can't get drawn into trading with Joshua when he does counter. He needs to use counters to use Joshua's aggression against him, remember Wlad and Whyte hurt Joshua when he was going in for the kill, Joshua is vulnerable then.

Work the body. Nobody has gone downstairs with commitment against Joshua and we all know Joshua has stamina issues. If he can slow Joshua down, make him throw less then you can out work him and steal rounds on activity and punches downstairs will reap benefits later in the fight when Joshua maybe more vulnerable. Working the body may also lower that high guard Joshua uses.

Movement is key. Joshua has slow feet and keeping Joshua resetting will minimise his work rate. While I think Parker has quick enough feet to do this his lack of counter punching and tendency to hold his feet after throwing makes this a risky strategy, but if he can fix these issues he can pose Joshua problems.

Or Parker can do what Wlad did and pressure Joshua with movement and feints. Joshua likes to sit back and counter waiting for leads that didn't always come from Wlad and was continually backed up and a moving Joshua is a less effective Joshua.

Keep the pace fast, don't allow Joshua to rest, even if its just forcing him to chase you or forcing him back. When Joshua does rest then be active don't give him the time to regroup and recover.

But personally I think this is a very big ask from Parker, he has the attributes but not the skill set to beat Joshua.

RE: Joshua vs Parker betting - Infern0 - 01-21-2018

I think the thing for Joe is he needs to pull everything together into a career best performance AND hope Joshua has an off night.

I just don't see both things happening

(01-21-2018, 05:33 PM)Infern0 Wrote: I think the thing for Joe is he needs to pull everything together into a career best performance AND hope Joshua has an off night.

I just don't see both things happening

Agreed. But I think Joe has to create that. Come out fast early, put him on the back foot, and nail him. Set the tone. Sure, AJ will always come forward, but Joe needs to stop his momentum with some timely shots. Once AJ sets and throws his punches the way he wants to, Parker is gone.

RE: Joshua vs Parker betting - bopman - 01-22-2018

I agree with everyone here. Jo doesnt really have the right tools for this fight but he might still pull it off. Its goona be a great fight and it will show if Jo is a real champ!!! How will he bounce back if he looses? What will happen to his team? Who will he fight next? What did he learn from the fight? Even if he looses the man is winning, unless he gets all depressed and fat with his millions of dollars lol.

RE: Joshua vs Parker betting - Infern0 - 01-22-2018

(01-22-2018, 12:33 PM)bopman Wrote: I agree with everyone here. Jo doesnt really have the right tools for this fight but he might still pull it off. Its goona be a great fight and it will show if Jo is a real champ!!! How will he bounce back if he looses? What will happen to his team? Who will he fight next? What did he learn from the fight? Even if he looses the man is winning, unless he gets all depressed and fat with his millions of dollars lol.

I dont see him getting depressed, but maybe fat.

Parker strikes me as a guy who would be happy owning a resturant on a beach in samoa and enjoying his millions.