NZBoxChat
Pro Fights in other Divisions - Printable Version

+- NZBoxChat (https://nzboxchat.co.nz)
+-- Forum: NZBoxChat (https://nzboxchat.co.nz/forumdisplay.php?fid=1)
+--- Forum: NZBoxChat (https://nzboxchat.co.nz/forumdisplay.php?fid=2)
+--- Thread: Pro Fights in other Divisions (/showthread.php?tid=377)

Pro Fights in other Divisions - diehard - 05-27-2017

Anyone see this fight?  Sky usually tapes fights on the weekends for during the week.  I really like Russell, he looked good.  The Dirrell fight was the one where Dirrell was hit after the bell, his opponent was disqualified, and Dirrell's opponent smacked the other fighter with a great combination.  Too bad, as I thought Dirrell was losing the fight:

http://www.fightnews.com/Boxing/results-oxon-hill-maryland-2-404583

RE: Pro Fights in other Divisions - diehard - 05-31-2017

Stevenson targets Ward-Kovalev winner

WBC light heavyweight champion Adonis Stevenson is already making plans for his next move after Saturday’s scheduled title defense against Andrzej Fonfara in a Showtime-televised bout from Montreal. “My goal is to unify the titles with the winner of (Sergey) Kovalev and (Andre) Ward,” proclaimed Stevenson. “I want the unification, but if not I’ll make my mandatory. If Ward wins I want to fight him, if Kovalev wins I want to fight him. I’m ready.”

His mandatory challenger is stablemate Eleider Alvarez, who took step-aside money to allow Stevenson-Forfara to go forward. Alvarez fights former 175-pound champ Jean Pascal on Saturday’s undercard.

RE: Pro Fights in other Divisions - diehard - 06-01-2017

Kovalev: I don’t like Ward and want to punish him
Yesterday at Boxing Laboratory in Oxnard, California, former WBO, WBA and IBF Light Heavyweight World Champion, Sergey “Krusher” Kovalev (30-1-1, 26 KOs) opened his training session to the media in advance of his upcoming showdown with Andre “S.O.G.” Ward (31-0, 15 KOs). Below are quotes from this event. Ward vs. Kovalev 2: “The Rematch” takes place Saturday, June 17 at the Mandalay Bay Events Center in Las Vegas. The championship event, presented by Corona Extra, will be produced and distributed live by HBO Pay-Per-View

RE: Pro Fights in other Divisions - diehard - 06-01-2017

Umar Salamov Update
Light heavyweight Umar Salamov came in at number 8 in the WBO’s latest ratings, after his stellar performance stopping Emil Markic (24-1) on the undercard of Joseph Parkers heavyweight world title defense in New Zealand earlier this month.

At just 22 years old Salamov stands an imposing figure at 6’3 tall, and has already achieved plenty in his 19 fights to date. He has held 2 versions of world youth titles with the IBO and WBO, the WBO European and IBO World titles. In his last outing, he secured the WBO International & IBF East/West European titles.

He is set to go again on July 2nd on the Jeff Hon vs Manny Pacquiao undercard where he scheduled to face former Aussie Olympian Damian ‘Super’ Hooper. According to trainer Kevin Barry ‘I am hearing rumors Hooper is treating this fight as his own personal version of a world title fight as he knows doors will fly open for him if he can get a win over Umar. Se we are training for a hard-long fight against a willing opponent who has excellent skills. We didn’t have to call Hooper out – he actually contacted our matchmaker Stuart Duncan wanting the fight.

Umar’s manager Kazbek Aslambekov said it would be foolish and disrespectful to look beyond Hooper at this stage other than confirming it is the team’s intention to have him fight at least 2 or 3 more times in 2017. Umar vacated his IBO World title in pursuit of one with the 4 majors and our plan is to have him in contention in 2018.

RE: Pro Fights in other Divisions - diehard - 06-04-2017

Stevenson annihilates Fonfara
By Dave Spencer at ringside

WBC light heavyweight champion Adonis “Superman” Stevenson (29-1, 24 KO) demolished Andrzej Fonfara (29-5, 17 KO) in two rounds on Saturday night at the Bell Center in Montreal. Stevenson dropped Fonfara in round one and then almost finished him. It was only a matter of time. After more punishment in round two, Fonfara’s trainer Virgil Hunter got on the ring apron prompting a stoppage. Time was :28.

Stevenson vowed “revenge” and got it against the only fighter to knock him down in seven defenses of the WBC 175-pound belt. Fonfara stated he would come back even harder.

RE: Pro Fights in other Divisions - Ibeabuchi - 06-05-2017

Stevenson will get eaten up if he ever steps into the ring with Ward or Kovalev, cant see it happening but it would sweet viewing if it did

RE: Pro Fights in other Divisions - diehard - 06-05-2017

I rate Stevenson on the same level as Ward and Kovalev. All would be good fights.

RE: Pro Fights in other Divisions - diehard - 06-06-2017

Lebedev vs. Flanagan Finalized - Russia vs. Japan on July 10
By Alexey Sukachev

The card is mostly set for a big night of boxing in Ekaterinburg, Russia, which is about to take place on July 10 at the DIVS arena under promotion of German Titov from the RCC Boxing Promotions and his partners from World of Boxing.
As was previously reported, WBA 'super' cruiserweight title holder Denis Lebedev (29-3, 22 KOs) will risk his title against WBA #8 Australian Mark Flanagan (22-4, 15 KOs).
Lebedev, 37, was previously holding the IBF title as well but lost it last December against fellow compatriot Murat Gassiev on a split decision. Lebedev’s WBA belt wasn’t at stake thus helping him to retain his position as the WBA champion.

Flanagan, 27, started his career in a so-so fashion, going 6-3 in his first nine fights. However, he is 16-1 after that and has won his last eleven. He has never fought outside his native land.
In what will be advertised as another notable fight, WBO #9 and WBC #15 Dmitry Mikhaylenko (22-1, 10 KOs) will continue his comeback after a loss to Charles Manyuchi a year ago. His opponent is still to be defined, while the bout is preliminarily set for twelve.
In what can only be bannered as a Russia vs. Japan undercard. Several bouts on the undercard will pit fighters from both countries against each other.
Lightweight Pavel Malikov (11-0, 5 KOs) will risk his undefeated record against Daiki Kaneko (26-5-3, 18 KOs), who is best known for his unsuccessful world title challenge back in 2013, when he lost to long-time WBA super featherweight champion Takeshi Uchiyama on a wide decision, despite dropping the champion once.
Featherweight Mark Urvanov (10-1, 6 KOs) will put his WBO Asia Pacific Youth title at risk against Jin Miura (9-1, 1 KO), while Russia-based Tajik Mukhammadkhodja Yakubov (7-0, 4 KOs) will risk his WBO Youth title versus Daiki Ichikawa (9-2, 7 KOs). Both fights are set for eight. Finally, Zaur Abdullaev (4-0, 3 KOs) will be pitted against Mao Kawanishi (4-2, 1 KO) in a four-rounder.

RE: Pro Fights in other Divisions - diehard - 06-20-2017

Anybody care about this fight?

BOXING NEWS
Broner-Garcia face off at NYC Press Conference

Four-division world champion Adrien “The Problem” Broner and three-division world champion Mikey Garcia went face-to-face for the first time Monday before they battle in one of the premier matchups of the summer that headlines a Showtime telecast on July 29 at Barclays Center in Brooklyn, NY. The fighters spoke to media Monday at Dream Hotel Downtown in Manhattan.

Adrien Broner: “I’m training hard and I think this will be one of the best performances of my career. This will take me to the superstar level where I need to be. I heard Mikey is a big favorite – they aren’t giving me much of a chance. I hope no one puts their house against me on this fight, because it won’t work out well for you.”

Mikey Garcia: “I’ll do whatever it takes to win this fight. I’m more of a boxer-puncher but if I need to press the fight and put pressure on, I’m going to be ready to do that…Adrien is going to come to beat me and I’m coming 100 percent to beat him. The fans will be the winner on fight night, but my hand will be raised.”

Full Quotes:

ADRIEN BRONER

“I want to thank everyone who showed up today. I’ve been in some crazy situations and I’m blessed to be here. To get a fight like this is huge. Boxing is going back to the old days where the best fight the best. Mikey is definitely one of the best out there today.

“This can take our careers to the next level. I’m taking this seriously. I’ve been training in Colorado Springs. The weight will not be a problem. This gives me a reason to make 140. I’m not paying a man to put hands on me.

“I’m training hard and I think this will be one of the best performances of my career. This will take me to the superstar level where I need to be. I heard Mikey is a big favorite – they aren’t giving me much of a chance. I hope no one puts their house against me on this fight, because it won’t work out well for you.

“This fight will definitely bring the best out of me, because Mikey isn’t a sloppy fighter, he isn’t an awkward fighter. Don’t get me wrong, he’s a Mexican, but he boxes like an African American. We’re going to have a nice fight and I can’t wait to put on a show.

“When you’ve got two athletic fighters that have skills, it can only bring the best out of each other. And the cream always comes to the top.

“I’m more focused this training camp. There are so many distractions in Cincinnati or D.C. There is nothing to do in Colorado but look at the mountains and box.

“It’s going to be a great fight. Robert Garcia is a great trainer for his little brother. We’re both undefeated at 140-pounds and under. Something has to break. I want everyone to tune in on July 29. You will see a real serious Adrien Broner in the ring. It might get ugly for Mikey on July 29.”

MIKEY GARCIA

“I’m very thankful for this opportunity. I can’t stress the importance of this fight enough. It’s the biggest fight that I could have. There are other names that are out there, but nothing made more sense than facing Adrien Broner.

“Adrien has accomplished a lot and when he’s at his best, he’s really great. That’s what I expect on July 29. I see that he’s taking this seriously by moving camp to Colorado. I expect him to bring the best out of me and give the fans the best fight possible.

“The fans here in New York have always treated me well and it’s a fan base that just really loves boxing. The fans are what make me a world champion. I owe it to them to perform to the best of my abilities. I’m going to come ready on July 29 so that this fight is remembered as one of the best of the year.

“I think he is motivated because it’s a big fight, one where he can try to get his career back on track and try to be a superstar like he has been in past big fights. He didn’t perform so well in his past fight against [Adrian] Granados and this is an opportunity for him to jump back and be a superstar again. And I think that’s what’s motivating him for this fight.

“The weight makes sense to me for this type of fight. 135-pounds is probably my best division, but I don’t think this will be much different. I’ll make weight a little more comfortably and still keep my speed and power.

“I’ll do whatever it takes to win this fight. I’m more of a boxer-puncher but if I need to press the fight and put pressure on, I’m going to be ready to do that.

“I know that we definitely have to be in the best shape possible. I am not going to take this lightly. I am not thinking it’s going to be an easy win for me. I think it’s going to be a tough fight. I believe he’s going to be ready 100% and that’s going to make it a tough fight for me but overall I think I’m the better fighter, better boxer and I’ll have enough tools to bring in the ring with me.

“Adrien is going to come to beat me and I’m coming 100 percent to beat him. The fans will be the winner on fight night, but my hand will be raised.”

Tickets to the event, which is promoted by Mayweather Promotions and DiBella Entertainment, are priced at $950, $750, $350, $300, $250, $150, $75, and $50 (not including applicable fees), are on sale now, and can be purchased at ticketmaster.com, barclayscenter.com or by calling 800-745-3000. Tickets can also be purchased at the American Express Box Office at Barclays Center. Group discounts are available by calling 844-BKLYN-GP.

RE: Pro Fights in other Divisions - justafan - 07-16-2017

A replay of full Chris Eubank Jr vs Arthur Abraham televised card on at 3pm. SKY TV channel 56