NZBoxChat
SUPER 8 - March 28 2015, Christchurch - Printable Version

+- NZBoxChat (https://nzboxchat.co.nz)
+-- Forum: NZBoxChat (https://nzboxchat.co.nz/forumdisplay.php?fid=1)
+--- Forum: NZBoxChat (https://nzboxchat.co.nz/forumdisplay.php?fid=2)
+--- Thread: SUPER 8 - March 28 2015, Christchurch (/showthread.php?tid=37)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15

RE: SUPER 8 - March 28 2015, Christchurch - justafan - 02-17-2015

Unless you know the full in and outs of Minto's contract with Duco it's hard to judge really. Given what he had going on in his life it would have been tough to pack your backs and head home with next to nothing depending on his contract or insurance etc
Pride is a very serious thing as sometimes you think you can guts out things but when it comes to the crunch maybe you can't...
Either way I think it's great to have him back. Will be interesting to see what happens if he wins. Sky Arena said Kali v Minto was not a big fight in NZ but that could change if he wins Super 8 and calls Kali out.
The draw for super 8 is going to be crucial...

RE: SUPER 8 - March 28 2015, Christchurch - Daneo - 02-17-2015

The draw is set isn't it? The 4 from the last one, 3 just announced and minto...

RE: SUPER 8 - March 28 2015, Christchurch - diehard - 02-17-2015

Reading between the lines, the contract said that if Minto went home without fighting, there would be no postponement and he would receive nothing. So he fought so that he could bring home some money.

Minto to fight in Super 8 tourney

Brian Minto will reportedly drop to cruiserweight to compete in the Super 8 cruiserweight tournament on March 28 at the Horncastle Arena in Christchurch, New Zealand. Minto attributes his bad showing against Joseph Parker last July to a number of problems, including a broken nose suffered the week of the fight and family issues back home. “I still regret taking that fight. I got injured and I didn’t tell anybody. I was beaten before I walked into the ring,” Minto told Stuff.co.nz. Other combatants include Israel Adesanya, Daniel “The Doberman” Ammann, Monty “Mad Dog” Filimaea and Lance “Buster” Bryant. Three additional fighters will be named.

(02-17-2015, 09:40 AM)diehard Wrote: Reading between the lines, the contract said that if Minto went home without fighting, there would be no postponement and he would receive nothing.  So he fought so that he could bring home some money.

I heard that too but it was about 27th hand rather than from anybody directly involved. If it was the case he'd been out here along time to go home with nothing.

(02-17-2015, 01:24 AM)Daneo Wrote: The draw is set isn't it? The 4 from the last one, 3 just announced and minto...

I just presumed it would be done like last time at the weigh-in or a day or so before.

RE: SUPER 8 - March 28 2015, Christchurch - Daneo - 02-17-2015

My bad I was talking about the lineup, yeah they will announce the draw just before the fight...

justafan. I heard it from Minto's camp back in the US. To spend all this time in NZ, with his wife struggling with their autistic child, and his father dying, and to come away with nothing? He was screwed either way.

RE: SUPER 8 - March 28 2015, Christchurch - justafan - 02-18-2015

Hmmmm that sux. I actually felt really sorry for him at the time and it seems that was only knowing half his troubles.
If my memory serves me right he used to always say that he had been promised two more fights in NZ by Duco AFTER beating Cameron... Obviously he only got the one but I wonder if the final fight would come alive again if he won the super 8?

RE: SUPER 8 - March 28 2015, Christchurch - diehard - 02-18-2015

Yep, two more fights by Duco.  I think the issue with his broken nose, wanting to postpone, and his poor showing ended all that.  I think he should have forced the issue, getting the doc to say that he was unfit medically to fight due to a broken nose.  Instead, he lied, said it wasn't broken, and put in a poor performance.  AND, Team Minto saying he used a strategy of staying away from Parker saying it was the best strategy.  A lie.  No, anyone who knows Minto knows he stays right in your chest and plays his inside game.  Elbows, shoulders, head butt, short punches. etc.  Look what he did to Cameron.  And he should have done it even MORE with Parker, given the size difference.

Least  he came clean and told the truth!