NZBoxChat
SUPER 8 - March 28 2015, Christchurch - Printable Version

+- NZBoxChat (https://nzboxchat.co.nz)
+-- Forum: NZBoxChat (https://nzboxchat.co.nz/forumdisplay.php?fid=1)
+--- Forum: NZBoxChat (https://nzboxchat.co.nz/forumdisplay.php?fid=2)
+--- Thread: SUPER 8 - March 28 2015, Christchurch (/showthread.php?tid=37)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15

RE: SUPER 8 - March 28 2015, Christchurch - Daneo - 02-13-2015

That giant Russian bloke was not only a different body-type to Reece, he was also sparring a top 5 pound 4 pound in the leadup to fighting rob.....jus sayin

He'd have to be seriously on his game, plus he has less than half of berridge's experience in the pro ranks...

RE: SUPER 8 - March 28 2015, Christchurch - MrsD - 02-13-2015

Yep, Team Berridge did NOT do their homework on the Russian. In addition to what you said, Lipitnik? re-committed to boxing after a long layoff. Duco and Co thought he just had a padded record. Wrong. Anyway, Robbie will only benefit from this, as he wasn't going much further with his skill set. Robbie will throw long looping punches while Reece will counter him all nite long. We'll see how much Robbie has learned, and how good Reece really is.

RE: SUPER 8 - March 28 2015, Christchurch - diehard - 02-15-2015

I feel vindicated! Minto said he had no chance of winning, and only fought for the money. And, he said he should have cancelled. The talk about his having the right fight plan was crap.

Brian Minto returning to New Zealand to set the record straight

LIAM NAPIER

The death of his father and lingering regret from an underwhelming loss to Joseph Parker will fuel Brian Minto's return to New Zealand next month.

The American veteran (39-8) is set to be revealed as the international wildcard to contest the Super8 cruiserweight tournament in Christchurch. After six months of tribulations, Minto wants to prove he is a better fighter than the one Parker beat with ease last July.

When he stepped through the ropes nursing a broken nose, sustained a week before the Parker fight in sparring, Minto knew he had no hope of troubling the fast-rising Kiwi heavyweight.

That's not the sort of mindframe any fighter should have. Parker's fast hands and towering frame may well have proved too much for Minto regardless but, on reflection, he knows the fight should not have gone ahead.

"I still regret taking that fight. I got injured and I didn't tell anybody. I was beaten before I walked into the ring. Duco didn't want to reschedule it and I put the money first," Minto, who pulled off a shock victory over Shane Cameron in late 2013, said.

"Through life we all make mistakes. I've matured a lot in the last six months as a man. I made some dumb decisions but you learn from them."

At the time Minto was also coping with the imminent death of his father, who suffered from dementia, and a rocky marriage. His wife was feeling the pressure of caring for their autistic son.

"My mental status for that fight was terrible. I didn't do any justice to myself. If I had my time over again, I'd come home. It was probably the dumbest move in my career. I basically gave Joseph my belt and ranking.

"My father died and my marriage was on the rocks. I had to basically grow up. I've turned that around. If things aren't well at home you're professional life won't be in order."

Unlike the sudden death of his mother to a heart attack, the 40-year-old is thankful he had the chance to say goodbye to his father.

"It was tough. He was deteriorating then his kidneys started to shut down. I went to see him in the morning and I got a lot of closure out of being there when he passed. He was struggling to breathe. I opened his eyes up and said 'it's okay to let go dad'. As soon as I said that he stopped breathing."

With extensive experience and notable hunger, Minto will be favoured to take out the Super8 event.

While the majority of his career has been at heavyweight he lost a cruiserweight world title shot against Marco Hunt in 2010 and he has already dropped seven kilograms to sit near the required weight.

Two years ago he also made the semi finals of a similar prize fighting tournament in London.

"I've been in with the best cruiserweight in the world so that should help me out. This is it for me. I know what I've got to do. This is my chance to redeem myself."

- Stuff

RE: SUPER 8 - March 28 2015, Christchurch - Cosmic Drop - 02-15-2015

http://m.nzherald.co.nz/sport/news/article.cfm?c_id=4&objectid=11402145

RE: SUPER 8 - March 28 2015, Christchurch - mippy - 02-15-2015

Great news, I really like Brian, he should be very entertaining to watch

RE: SUPER 8 - March 28 2015, Christchurch - Dannyboy - 02-16-2015

Can't think of a fighter who's never had a bad fight? And I think we can all agree Minto should not have taken the Parker fight in the state he was in. Pressure and money can be many a good fighters downfall!!
However, I believe Minto will train hard for this and I think he's mentally a strong fighter. He will be hard to beat if he's at the top of his game!!

RE: SUPER 8 - March 28 2015, Christchurch - diehard - 02-16-2015

I guess my disappointment is that I've always seen him as a strong, competitive fighter who dealt to Cameron. And I was looking forward to a great fight with him and Parker. And then to see Brian fighting anything but his fight was heartbreaking. As he said, he should have packed his bags and left.

RE: SUPER 8 - March 28 2015, Christchurch - Daneo - 02-16-2015

(02-16-2015, 04:39 PM)diehard Wrote: I guess my disappointment is that I've always seen him as a strong, competitive fighter who dealt to Cameron.  And I was looking forward to a great fight with him and Parker.  And then to see Brian fighting anything but his fight was heartbreaking.  As he said, he should have packed his bags and left.

Easier said than done when your living depends on lacing up Die..... in saying that you'd think he'd be an odds-on favorite to take out the super 8. I can't see anyone in the field who matches him for experience and 3 rounders would suit him down to the ground..

RE: SUPER 8 - March 28 2015, Christchurch - diehard - 02-16-2015

Do you think I'm being too hard on him, Daneo? It's just that the punters like Sham waste their money expecting a competitive encounter when the fighter gets injured and knows he cannot win. Yep, I see Minto is the odds on favourite.

RE: SUPER 8 - March 28 2015, Christchurch - Daneo - 02-16-2015

No I don't Die, as fans we expect the best showing from the 2 combatants - especially when you're paying to attend or to watch on PPV. (Sham and Stormy sneak in or stream illegally so their opinions can be taken with a grain of salt) In a perfect world every fight is 50:50 (or is that just on Sky Arena POW!)

Boxing is a cruel sport and there are things that happen behind the scenes that have a massive bearing on the outcome...... so the old saying goes "that's boxing"