NZBoxChat
SUPER 8 - March 28 2015, Christchurch - Printable Version

+- NZBoxChat (https://nzboxchat.co.nz)
+-- Forum: NZBoxChat (https://nzboxchat.co.nz/forumdisplay.php?fid=1)
+--- Forum: NZBoxChat (https://nzboxchat.co.nz/forumdisplay.php?fid=2)
+--- Thread: SUPER 8 - March 28 2015, Christchurch (/showthread.php?tid=37)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15

RE: SUPER 8 - March 28 2015, Christchurch - justafan - 02-11-2015

OK, so this Hollioake called out Betham. That makes it a little better on Betham's account but still not sure this should go ahead... from that article though it looks like this is no certainty to go ahead. Lets hope it doesn't.
I hope Betham gives him a couple of names and says if you can beat them, then will we look at a fight between us

RE: SUPER 8 - March 28 2015, Christchurch - MrsD - 02-11-2015

Oh please. Hollioake lost to Carlos Spenser, whom Monty beat easily. Gotta wonder from the article if the baiting and taunting was a set up.

RE: SUPER 8 - March 28 2015, Christchurch - justafan - 02-11-2015

Hold up, I didn't know he'd already lost to Spencer.
You have to wonder if any of that twitter stuff is real, Mayweather always has these big twitter rampages before every fight and then it all seems to be smoothed over straight after the fight... funny that

RE: SUPER 8 - March 28 2015, Christchurch - justafan - 02-12-2015

http://www.stuff.co.nz/sport/other-sports/66063880/reece-papunis-absence-from-super8-event-proves-a-disappointment-all-round
Two things, I would not have thought Papuni was ready for Berridge but more importantly, I would have thought Berridge and any promoter that he may work with in the future would be doing every thing they can to prove to the NZ public that he should be on the world stage by fighting quality international fighters

RE: SUPER 8 - March 28 2015, Christchurch - NZCap - 02-12-2015

I agree, and I’m sure there would be others who would also that Reece isn’t ready for that - yet. I think it’s poor form from the promoter to through a name like ‘Berridge’ to the media to intimate to the public that Reece isn’t prepared to step up to a, in their words, “50/50“ bout. An interesting point is that Berridge has his comeback fight on the 6th of March in Melbourne – no doubt Sky’s 21 page contract would have a clause prohibiting fighters from competing for at least 30 (if not 60) days before the Super 8 tournament? When you put that into the time line since 5th December incident you have to wonder if he was ever a 'real' opponent? Just wondering?

As for the ‘ethos’ mentioned in the article that they’re promising to the market “Every fight is 50-50” - questionable when you have Slater (guy who does not look like a frequent gym user) vs Ryder (a professional international sportsman) and Harry Scaife (who’s had a very successful amateur boxing career and comes from a long family history in the sport) vs Leon Tangaroa who, while a very successful Muay Thai fighter, is only very new to the sport of boxing.

RE: SUPER 8 - March 28 2015, Christchurch - VADR - 02-12-2015

Ben and Deb,

Papauni's management was in discussion with Duco even though he had 1 fight left to the local promoter.

While discussion where underway Duco annouced that Reece was on their show.

Hoopers promoter was approached by both ourselves and Duco.

Papauni management then declined the offer.

We were very straight forward with our offer and expectations.

The didn't want to put on their belts on the line so their expectations were unrealistic.

As ppv promoters we are expected to put on top cards.

If you ask for main event fees, then we expect a main event.

As far as agreements go, they are 21 pages as they are full of definitions ensuring clarity.

Some of the contracts doing rounds are open to interpretation which puts all parties at risk.

Berridge was not on the march 6 card at the time.

NZcap I am guessing is from CHCH.

RE: SUPER 8 - March 28 2015, Christchurch - Daneo - 02-12-2015

Robbie v Hooper would be a great matchup IMHO.... I'm not sure they would be that keen for it however especially after the drilling he took from Powerdrill... I don't believe there would be many guys left in Australasia that could match Butcher....

RE: SUPER 8 - March 28 2015, Christchurch - justafan - 02-12-2015

I agree Robbie v Hooper would be awesome... but Hooper can't afford another loss so it would surely be too risky
Hope the chch interest stays strong in this without Papauni and Nort Beauchamp plus I'm guessing Bowyn Morgan will be off the menu given he fights on the Duco card just 20 odd days before too.
Personally I still think as long as the rest of the names in the super 8 are quality that will ensure a success.
I wonder if Minto will make another play to get in?

RE: SUPER 8 - March 28 2015, Christchurch - Daneo - 02-12-2015

PS I think Rob would make short work of Papanui...

RE: SUPER 8 - March 28 2015, Christchurch - MrsD - 02-13-2015

First time I've seen Papuni, against Rapira. Countered great, but can he do it against Rob? Berridge got exposed badly against the Russian, but is Papuni good enough to do the same against Berridge. I honestly don't know, but I would like to see if he could.