NZBoxChat
SUPER 8 - March 28 2015, Christchurch - Printable Version

+- NZBoxChat (https://nzboxchat.co.nz)
+-- Forum: NZBoxChat (https://nzboxchat.co.nz/forumdisplay.php?fid=1)
+--- Forum: NZBoxChat (https://nzboxchat.co.nz/forumdisplay.php?fid=2)
+--- Thread: SUPER 8 - March 28 2015, Christchurch (/showthread.php?tid=37)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15

RE: SUPER 8 - March 28 2015, Christchurch - VADR - 02-24-2015

Super 8 has made a point of putting on evenly matched fights where the winners are difficult to pick and upsets are frequent. You only need to look at the last 2 shows is evidence of that with the Aloua vs McCracken bout a prime example, also look at Meehan vs Cameron, pretty much each fight in the tournament was evenly contested.

We expect this show will be the same with young up and comers given the chance to perform against more experienced opponents and prove they belong at this level.

For those that do perform we've made a point of providing opportunities to further their career. (Soi is a good example of that, challenging McCracken for his titles and world ranking).

Although managing a fighter through the early stages of his career (as opposed to the Last Man Standing Tournament or Main event title match ups) does mean selecting the right opponents, our preference is for bouts where young prospects are giving away experience and fighting rugged opponents as opposed to tomato can's.

Hemi Ahio's bout against the then undefeated 4-0 Will Quarrie is a good example as is Willis Meehan's fight with Will, who is a Cameron and Tua sparring partner with a long amatuer background. Ahio on this show will ideally be fighting an opponent with more experience again - hopefully he continues to impress.

In other words a challenging fight where the opponent believes he can win and the prospect either learns through adversity or falls by the wayside. We believe more in the old school model of developing through well matched bouts where the prospect learns and develops rather than bowling over a bunch of easy beats. You may have the odd set back, but you well develop a better equipped fighter in the long term when they hit the world stage.

Regarding Reece, he's a great prospect who we were looking forward to seeing on the show, however in any commercial arrangement both parties need to agree to terms. When this doesn't happen, either party has the right to walk away. Those terms include, purses, future planning, opponent agreement and a shared vision of how a fighter's career moves forward.

If for example a fighter is asking for an extremely high purse and expecting an opponent which doesn't match the purse (remembering a fighter is only as valuable as the tickets he or the match up can sell and the PPV he can generate) then there will be an impasse as both parties have to agree on relative worth. Fighters, Managers and promoters need to be realistic and act in good faith.

Reece is a freelancer and remains welcome to fight on a SUPER 8 card, provided the two parties can agree on terms for one off bouts.

Regarding 50/50 match ups - your example of Berridge wasn't on a Televised Super 8 event, from memory they were tiny shows at the Auckland ABA some years ago.

You may well be right regarding the Lepikhin bout, it wasn't hard to find out information about him and he was in camp for 6 weeks in the US prior to the bout, so it wasn't the right fight for Berridge at that stage of his career. But each promoter and fighter / trainer has to do their research and agree to terms which I imagine was done in this bout. And as we were not the promoters its not really our place to speculate.

===

On charity bouts, with boxing being a niche sport in NZ and only having 4 million or so people, commercially these make some sense to deliver boxing to a more mainstream audience. In turn that raises the profile for boxing and gives more opportunities for professionals to ply their trade on televised cards and in turn grow their career and profile. It's a far better option than fighting for $100 a round in a pub or taking short notice fights against more experience opponents in australia.

Being pragmatic about it - it's a better alternative than what NZ has had on offer previously. There are more opportunities than ever before with two strong promoters putting on large scale shows.

Regarding Betham vs Hollioake - - Hollioake called Betham out, he's had 8 MMA bouts with 7 wins and a draw and 3 pro boxing bouts for two wins, so compared to Monty's previous bout it's a far better match up. Monty's clearly the favorite, but Hollioake can bang and boxes well, he's also not going to freeze up when he gets hit for the first time with 10 oz gloves, so it should be an entertaining bout.

===

We are happy to work with local promoters as we are doing in Christchurch with Justin Wallace. I am happy to take a call from any promoter or fighter. +61421001766

RE: SUPER 8 - March 28 2015, Christchurch - diehard - 02-24-2015

Thanks for the lengthy explanation, VADR! I still want a headliner, and this seems more like an OZ vs NZ clash, with the exception of Minto. That said, it looks like good match-ups, with some good boxing. I had forgotten who was fighting, and whether it was Last Man Standing or more of a regular match-up. So, here are the match-ups:

http://www.supereight.co.nz/

RE: SUPER 8 - March 28 2015, Christchurch - justafan - 02-25-2015

Sorry for the novel but I haven't had a chance to get on her for a while.
If VADR is John Mcrae then we should all be respectful even if we disagree that much that much we want to chuck the computer out the window...
I see on twitter Lucas Browne's fans constantly calling on Ricky Hatton for updates and they constantly go unanswered so if the country's leading promoter is on this forum it's important that he feels welcome enough to stay. Eddie Hearn often talks about how annoying it is to constantly update his twitter, often talking to utter idiots on there but Hearn understands it's his personal connection that keeps the fans coming back and keeping him in business.

50/50 fights, not all fights on the super 8 cards have been or will be 50/50 but I can certainly see his point.
They put David Aloua in with a dangerous opponent at late notice after Baff pulled out, they made good fights like Kali v Cameron, Quarie v Hemi the heat and so far the super 8's have been entertaining.
What VADR was more than likely meaning is they are aiming to put on really competitive fights that we want to see. I went to Parker v Tank and there really wasn't anything competitive about it.
I took a multi bet on every fight and I don't remember even being nervous once.
Sure Super 8 will have the odd tune up fight or a guy on debut fighting a human bag but as long as they are not complete piss takes we can live with it if the rest of the card is good can't we...
Bit gutted it's straight back to cruiser this time around but not going to judge it until it's happened, maybe it will be awesome.

Betham v Hollioake is a joke, but I'm ok with it as it gives me time to restock my esky and fill the snack bowls up and go for a leak etc.

Ryder v slob is also a joke but it will give me time to get on here and see what everyone else is thinking about the fights.

As I've said before these fights aren't for us, they are for the casual sports fan or haters of either fighter who want to see the one they dislike get knocked over.
I've got heaps of mates that will watch this for Ryder and there's a bloody good chance they will enjoy the real fights to.
For us purists, take it for the piss take that it is, have a laugh and take the time to go get a drink. If you look at it seriously of course you will get frustrated with it.
The reality is the Ryder and to a lesser extent the Betham v Hollioake fight got a lot of main stream media coverage. If the promoter tipped off 3 news that Lance Bryant and Monty Filimaea were fighting over 12 rounds for a national belt do you think 3 news would care... I think not, even though I would love to see that fight and would gladly pay to see it.

I'm actually really looking forward to this next super 8 now. Really excited to see Hemi the heat back in action. Loved his fight with Quarie, he was so green yet so skillfull for some one in only his third fight with no am background.
Soi v Mccraken should be good too.

RE: SUPER 8 - March 28 2015, Christchurch - tm7 - 03-12-2015

Any word on who Hemi Ahio is fighting yet?

RE: SUPER 8 - March 28 2015, Christchurch - justafan - 03-14-2015

Is it just me or are others getting bored with this same tired story being told every week...

http://www.stuff.co.nz/sport/other-sports/67333749/boxer-brian-minto-regrets-joseph-parker-fight-and-how-it-played-out

RE: SUPER 8 - March 28 2015, Christchurch - craigyid14 - 03-14-2015

Yep, its just because boxing is so small over here. Let's face it Minto's a journeyman who got a fight over here against Cameron, an honest hard working but let's face it, limited boxer beat him and then became a known name here. Got hammered by Parker, as he would 10 times out of 10. Now he's in a very average super 8 field (its lost its 2 strongest boxers from last time). He'll probably win it, should do. And then what maybe a money fight against Meehan, more likely younger Meehan. Its hard to be a boxing fan here, all you ever get to read, or watch is 'celebrity' shit fights or Parker beating up on 'some guy with a good record'. Not one of my friends has even heard of Papuni, Rapira, George, Taylor, Jackson etc.... Why would they have? Some fat blogger is fighting an average drunk cricketer, after all.

Been wanting to do this since this fight was first talked about on this thread but didn't have the time.

So below is a list of credible fighters that Robert Berridge (25-2-1) has gone up against. Compare it to Reece Papuni's (9-0) credible fights and tell why this fight would be even be talked about.
It's far from a 50-50!
It would be a very one sided deal but maybe if Papuni could develop his career further in the next couple of years it could be a big domestic fight.
I really like Papuni, I love watching him fight and would love to see him do well and I think he will but right now he has beaten nobody.
Berridge wins
Kerry Foley
Serge Yannick
Trent Broadhurst
Daniel MacKinnon
Joel Casey
Shintaro Matsumoto
Mariano Jose Riva
Monty Filimaea
Loses
Vasily Lepikhin (future world champ for mine)
Blake Caparello (Berridge took this on short notice)
Draw
Kerry Foley (the only people who saw this as a draw where the ones he mattered the most)

The most credible fighters Reece Papuni has fought.
Andrew Robinson (who has improved a lot since then when he was 2-0)
Sam Rapira (who was way over hyped and was never going to compete against Papuni and would probably lose to Nik the Greek)
John Roil (good honest battler whose record at the time was 1-1-1

My question how is that a 50-50??? And why would Papuni want a fight like that when they are clearly in different class?
Three of Papuni's nine wins were just light workouts and one was a complete joke that should never have been approved to go ahead so in terms of semi decent match ups he's 5-0.

On a side note Papuni spared with Minto today and could be a chance of being on the super 8 undercard after all but far from a certainty given contact situation.
The neck injury that complicated his fight on Duco card is apparently healed.

Who said it was a fifty fifty fight? Papuni could win though, Berridge is a hard puncher and is supremely fit but he does run out of ideas if he doesn't get a knock out. Papuni is a lovely boxer, plenty of punches. Not 50-50 but not a for gone conclusion.

And I reckon Papuni would start a heavy favourite against Nik the Greek. That fight won't happen for along (due to injury).

Correct me if I'm wrong but I think the they tried to put this on as it was a 50-50 fight.
Don't get me wrong I like the butcher a lot, more than a lot, but I would love Papuni to win more. The whole point of my post was to prove that it is simply to early for Papuni to take this fight and I don't think he should be looked down on for not taking it given the massive gap in experience. It could be a huge fight in future years...
On a side note, I was watching a lot of the Butchers early fights over xmas and I did wonder, is he a bit chinny? Was knocked down twice (I think) by Roman Hunt and I Foley and Mkinnon and others have also dropped him. Anyone got any thoughts on that?
To me there's just something about Berridge that makes me want to watch him but I have to wonder who is advising Andy Robinson. Just coming off a good win overseas and then steps into Berridge. Brital knockout in round two or three for mine