NZBoxChat
SUPER 8 - March 28 2015, Christchurch - Printable Version

+- NZBoxChat (https://nzboxchat.co.nz)
+-- Forum: NZBoxChat (https://nzboxchat.co.nz/forumdisplay.php?fid=1)
+--- Forum: NZBoxChat (https://nzboxchat.co.nz/forumdisplay.php?fid=2)
+--- Thread: SUPER 8 - March 28 2015, Christchurch (/showthread.php?tid=37)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15

RE: SUPER 8 - March 28 2015, Christchurch - Walker Smith Jr - 02-20-2015

Sorry for spelling your name wrong John! Is that why you called me Walter?

RE: SUPER 8 - March 28 2015, Christchurch - craigyid14 - 02-20-2015

Reece Papuni is a massive loss to the show in Christchurch, NZ's latest prospect in front of his home crowd. Plus with Soi/Mckracken headlining, even though a good competitive matchup, it lacks that headline pedigree. Plus the super 8 is the weakest line up so far, even though Asher Derbyshire is a great addition. So far this has to be ranked 3rd of your promotions. I'm with diehard, where's the wow fight?

RE: SUPER 8 - March 28 2015, Christchurch - JTapia - 02-20-2015

''If raising some money through charity bouts for kids who are less advantaged offends your sensibility, I'm not sorry.''

Cmon VADR - let's get real here. Your motivation behind these celebrity bouts is hardly charity. It's $. In the case of Betham v Holyoake I hope your prepared for the potential consequences of such a blatant mismatch.

RE: SUPER 8 - March 28 2015, Christchurch - diehard - 02-20-2015

Thanks for getting on here, VADR, and responding to the pundits.  All we boxing folks want is the best card you can give us.  And of course, we're not short on ideas!  I promise that although we may be critical at times, I'll make sure that we are respectful.

RE: SUPER 8 - March 28 2015, Christchurch - NZCap - 02-20-2015

I wonder if Super 8 have shot themselves in the foot promising to deliver 50/50 bouts. Regarding David Aloua Rogers I note Sky’s comments (googled): "We'll probably look at a tune-up fight before he takes on McCracken again”. I can only wonder if the ‘tune up’ bout is going to be 50/50? Also what happens when you start signing on boxers that are new to the professional scene? Are you going to break your moto and let them get a few wins under their belt first?

Massive shame that there are no local boxers on the Super 8 show in Christchurch. As well as Reece, there are some very good local professional boxers and I think S8 missed the boat. Us Cantabs can be very patriotic towards our hometown sportspeople and I wonder if S8 have underestimated the number of people who genuinely support local boxers and are now questioning why there are none on the show.

And yep, still frustrated that S8 would put in the media names like Hooper and Berridge as opponents that Reece wouldn’t step up to as being the reason why he wasn’t on the card, when Reece was given a contract so you can only but assume that both parties had agreed on a suitable “50/50” opponent. Reading between the lines, it seems the opponent was agreed, just not the terms on the contract - so why add in names like Hooper and Berridge after the fact.

Reece will be on a path, just like Parker, David Alou Rogers and Berridge. In fact, Berridge’s 10th fight was against Moses Ioelu and his first title fight was also against Moses Ioelu – clearly not 50/50 however that’s ok because it was part of his pathway that helped him climb up the rankings.

Re Berridge vs Vasily Lepikhin. Main Events were the promoters of that show, Sergey was signed on by Main Events and Lipikhin was on the same team as Sergey and was likely (googled this) “to be signed” by Main Events (which FYI he now is). Main Events is massive in the US so an awesome opportunity for Parker to get profile exposure in the states. As bad as it sounds, its hard not to speculate that maybe Berridge and his belts were used as leverage to get Parker on the card to get the American exposure to get the ball rolling onto bigger leagues. The win for Lepikhin has definitely helped him climb up the world rankings.

Sorry for the cynical/sceptical comments but all i want to see is good boxing and boxers being looked after without the fluff.

Thanks

RE: SUPER 8 - March 28 2015, Christchurch - Daneo - 02-20-2015

Couldn't Sky Arena just put on tune-up bouts on smaller regional shows and/or co-promotions?

50-50 fights isn't necessary.  Parker vs Pettaway certainly isn't with Duco.  I don't mind that.  But no mis-matches.  Please.  Not fair to the fighters or fans.  I don't think Berridge got Parker on the US card.  Parker seemed to be carrying the card.  Lippkin was merely a guy with a swollen record.  He sure proved them wrong, and is something like #10 now in one of the alphabets.

Yeah, local boxers is a pre-requisite in any town.  Definitely need to have a few on the card.  And I would pick Reece over Berridge as a 50-50 match-up.

RE: SUPER 8 - March 28 2015, Christchurch - JTapia - 02-20-2015

NZCap – you are on the money.

In terms of Reece Papuni, as a boxing fan interested in seeing his progression to higher honours I don’t see why you would risk him so early against Berridge. Papuni has had 9 pro fights, Berridge 24. I am not saying he couldn’t win this one but in terms of professional experience Berridge is obviously well ahead of Papuni. I’d have thought any matchmaker would be capable of making this observation.

I really wonder if Sky have a long term plan for boxing as surely developing Papuni with a view to a future showdown would be more lucrative from a pay per view perspective, then the short term gratification of throwing him with Berridge. After all good things take time.

All true, JT, except that Papuni is 27. Needs to make his move soon. Maybe not Berridge, but someone ranked in the top 20. BTW, Sam Rapira, one of his victims, only won a SD against a guy who was 0-4. Come on Sam.

RE: SUPER 8 - March 28 2015, Christchurch - craigyid14 - 02-23-2015

I see unbeaten heavy Hemi Ahio has been added to the bill (against a yet unknown opponent), Looks a good powerful prospect