NZBoxChat
SUPER 8 - March 28 2015, Christchurch - Printable Version

+- NZBoxChat (https://nzboxchat.co.nz)
+-- Forum: NZBoxChat (https://nzboxchat.co.nz/forumdisplay.php?fid=1)
+--- Forum: NZBoxChat (https://nzboxchat.co.nz/forumdisplay.php?fid=2)
+--- Thread: SUPER 8 - March 28 2015, Christchurch (/showthread.php?tid=37)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15

RE: SUPER 8 - March 28 2015, Christchurch - diehard - 02-18-2015

NZ Sporting Lengend Monty Betham has answered twitter troll (Former UK cricket skipper turned professional fighter) Adam Hollioake's challenge and the pair will duke it out in a professional bout SUPER 8 REDEMPTION: MARCH 28, Live on SKY ARENA PPV.

RE: SUPER 8 - March 28 2015, Christchurch - justafan - 02-18-2015

I think the fact Super 8 are calling Monty a NZ sporting legend is far more laughable than the Ryder v Slater fight...
Seriously they obviously didn't watch him play for the Warriors or Kiwis! Nothing against the guy I'm just keeping it real

RE: SUPER 8 - March 28 2015, Christchurch - diehard - 02-19-2015

Ah, Monty was all right. A star, but not a superstar. He WAS captain after all. Anyway, Super 8 needs to be careful they don't become Duco. Jesse Ryder, Cameron Slater, Monty, a cricket player from England. One more act and it becomes a circus. Still need my headliner. Meehan vs Leapai?

RE: SUPER 8 - March 28 2015, Christchurch - justafan - 02-19-2015

the Warriors play overs for everyone but when they has Monty on what he was on when they made him a captain was a complete joke. He was a good solid first grader, tradesman like but I very much doubt there would be many who would refer to him as a rugby league (unless they were wearing rose tinted Warriors glasses) let along a NZ sporting legend.

RE: SUPER 8 - March 28 2015, Christchurch - Walker Smith Jr - 02-19-2015

What's laughable is John McCreagh of sky stating they only have 50/50 contests & having an athlete in Jesse Ryder fighting an over weight blogger in Cameron Slater ,then announcing Monty Beatham fighting cricketer Adam Holyoaks who's record currently stands at 2&1 not counting his loss to Carlos Spencer .The real shame here is these so called "celebrity " boxers are getting paid 3 to 4 times what the legitimate fighters are.To call Monty Beatham a sporting legend is some what stretching it when he has never beaten a fighter with a winning record .If this is what sky is banking on to get punters to attend or buy on pay per view I think they will struggle again .

RE: SUPER 8 - March 28 2015, Christchurch - diehard - 02-19-2015

John posts on here, so you'll be speaking to him directly. And thanks for signing up, Walter. My issue is that I don't want Super 8 to become Duco. They should be two very distinct boxing cards. I'd watch Parker and put up with the celebs. I'd watch Super 8 but get dismayed if they don't have a headliner like they had with Cameron vs Meehan. I think the formula is to get 1 or 2 circus acts to bring in the non-purists, then load it up with quality boxing matches for us purists plus a headliner.

RE: SUPER 8 - March 28 2015, Christchurch - Walker Smith Jr - 02-19-2015

I agree diehard but don't state in the paper your all about 50/50 match ups when two of your fights are anything but .On that subject you don't have to look too hard at any of the greats records to see the early learning parts of their careers weren't made up of 50/50 fights but learning fights that developed them into the greats they became.The problem here is these promoters want slugfests to boast there ratings while paying the fighters peanuts , if you want a prospect to risk his 0 then risk must equal reward.I believe this mindset is the reason this event will fail as it seems they are not prepared to pay the money required to make a fight the purists are prepared to pay for .Yours Walker not Walter.

RE: SUPER 8 - March 28 2015, Christchurch - Daneo - 02-19-2015

Having watch a couple of clips of hollioake I think he's fairly skilled and a decent matchup for Betham. Betham will have too much pop for him IMHO..but a fairly even match skillwise.

I'm a free market economist so have no issue with celebs being paid celeb dollars.... Fighters need to negotiate for themselves and build their own profile....

RE: SUPER 8 - March 28 2015, Christchurch - VADR - 02-19-2015

Gee you could at least spell my name correctly Walter if your making a personal attack.
If raising some money through charity bouts for kids who are less advantaged offends your sensibility, I'm not sorry.
Seems your comments are somewhat oblivious to the last three weeks of positive media coverage.
McCracken vs Soi is a fantastic matchup, the super 8 line up is brimming with exciting potential fights and the next couple of fights are with exciting prospects.
The inclusion of the charity bouts has heightened awareness of the event.

The origin of your comments seem to be on the backend of Reece not being on the card.
I would have liked to have seen Reece on the card, I'm from Christchurch, in fact a school mate is his boss.
I had a beer with him at an ABA show after he last fought and enjoyed his company.
He should have accepted the original offer as I hear he's getting half the money for the march 5 show.

Local GA sales are already above target, so it has made no impact, it's just a shame he didn't get to fight in front of a hometown crowd on TV.

As far as saying we pay peanuts that's rubbish.
We pay very good money unlike in Australia and the US where most fighters get paid largely in tickets.
Plus all fighters benefit from the massive publicity.

RE: SUPER 8 - March 28 2015, Christchurch - tm7 - 02-19-2015

Fair play to you VADR. The exposure you're getting for the sport in New Zealand is brilliant. It's important to offer a competitor for Duco as well to keep everyone honest.

Keep up the good work!