NZBoxChat
Reece Papuni - Printable Version

+- NZBoxChat (https://nzboxchat.co.nz)
+-- Forum: NZBoxChat (https://nzboxchat.co.nz/forumdisplay.php?fid=1)
+--- Forum: NZBoxChat (https://nzboxchat.co.nz/forumdisplay.php?fid=2)
+--- Thread: Reece Papuni (/showthread.php?tid=13)

Pages: 1 2

Reece Papuni - craigyid14 - 11-21-2014

Is he the real deal? Stopped Sam Rapira last time out, is 7-0(5 early) and has Aussie veteran Joel 'two guns' Casey in a few weeks in Christchurch. How far can he go?

RE: Reece Papuni - diehard - 11-21-2014

I think he's the real deal.  A terrific counter puncher.  The only negative I see is that his opponents have not been that good, at least their record hasn't.  Like Rapira, it'll be good to see how he does with better competition.  BTW, I live in the Taranaki region, and Rapira's fellow boxers are devastated he lost in such fashion.

RE: Reece Papuni - justafan - 11-21-2014

With two pro fights already canned on this card this is dissapointing, Casey would have been a great fight.

Reece 'Lightning' Papuni
37 mins ·
Been a stressful day I will not be fighting Joel Casey Tomorrow. Due to legal reasons im gutted he cant be here. We have found a replacement. I just have to refocus and prepare. For this new dude.

RE: Reece Papuni - craigyid14 - 11-21-2014

(11-21-2014, 10:49 PM)justafan Wrote: With two pro fights already canned on this card this is dissapointing, Casey would have been a great fight.

Reece 'Lightning' Papuni
37 mins ·
Been a stressful day I will not be fighting Joel Casey Tomorrow. Due to legal reasons im gutted he cant be here. We have found a replacement. I just have to refocus and prepare. For this new dude.

Who's the replacement?
And is 'the battle of the journeyman' Campbell/Te Paa the only other pro fight?

RE: Reece Papuni - justafan - 11-21-2014

Not sure of new opponent just saw that on his Facebook page. Sounds as if he couldnt name him yet.
Scaife and Bamford pulled out earlier in the week so I think the there is now only two pro bouts.
Also hard to imagine they would have found a quality replacement for Casey at short notice

Professional boxers Chris Bamford and Harry Scaife have been ruled out of Saturday's Fight for Christchurch.

The duo were expected to be among the drawcard contenders at the annual charity boxing event at Horncastle Arena (formerly CBS Canterbury Arena) but have had to withdraw just days out.

Bamford, a Canterbury and New Zealand Residents rugby league player, has been forced to miss what would have been his second pro fight for health reasons.

It means American Clarence Tillman, whose last high-profile clash was against All Blacks star Sonny Bill Williams, will no longer be taking part either.

Scaife, a former New Zealand light welterweight amateur champion, broke his hand during sparring, spoiling his pro debut.

His opponent Ricky Campbell will now face Brisbane-based Cantabrian Matt Te Paa.

RE: Reece Papuni - craigyid14 - 11-21-2014

Yeah I read that on stuff.co.nz. It'll probably be Moses Ioelu or Peter Tovi'o, but John Roil would give him good hard rounds at short notice.

RE: Reece Papuni - justafan - 11-22-2014

Good guesses although maybe not Roil.
From Papuni's facebook thread

Johnny Roil: Who u got now bro I got the call this morning if I wanted to but I haven't got of the couch in ages lol
Like · Reply · about an hour ago

RE: Reece Papuni - craigyid14 - 11-22-2014

It won't be Andy Robinson, he's fighting on the Pacman undercard in Macau. What a good gig that is.

RE: Reece Papuni - craigyid14 - 11-23-2014

Justafan, do you know how he went last night?

RE: Reece Papuni - diehard - 11-24-2014

Reece Papuni 'disappointed' by late replacement  

MATT RICHENS    

BIG HITTER: Reece Papuni celebrates after knocking out Sam Rapira in their light-heavyweight title bout in Auckland last month.

Christchurch boxer Reece Papuni is "disappointed and angry" at the lack of professionalism around the farcical main event in the Fight for Christchurch.

Papuni was the main drawcard on the professional side of the fundraising night, which also featured corporate bouts, but a late change to an under-prepared and out-classed opponent left Papuni with "nothing more than a sparring session".

An organisational botch-up meant Papuni's opponent, Australian Joel Casey, could not enter New Zealand.

Casey was last month sentenced to 18 months in jail for trying to swindle $5000 from his doctor by pretending a murder plot was being arranged for the GP and his wife, according to the Townsville Bulletin.

The sentence was suspended for two years and the Australian magistrate took into account more than 10 months served in pre-sentence custody, declaring that as time served.

Promoter Justin Wallace said he knew of Casey's conviction and was told by Auckland match-maker Craig Thomson that Casey would have no trouble getting into New Zealand. Wallace found out there was an issue only late on Thursday night when he had a Facebook message from Casey saying he was not allowed on the plane.

Wallace then organised another opponent, but two hours later he pulled out, then a third at 11pm on Friday night.

"But we later found out the third guy had fought on Friday night and been knocked out.

"He accepted the fight even though he had to do a stand-down after being knocked out, so obviously we had to replace him."

Palmerston North's Mike Kapi was flown down on Saturday afternoon but was no match.

Papuni and his team were asked to go easy on Kapi, who had one previous professional fight and that was in the super-middleweight class, a class below Papuni's light-heavyweight.

Papuni polished the fight off early in the second round when Kapi's corner threw in the towel following a second knock-down.

Papuni, who now has a 9-0 record, said the victory was hollow.

"It wasn't handled professionally," he said.

"Justin's the promoter and it's his responsibility to make sure the guy can fight here, it falls back on him.

"I spent six weeks building up and training to fight Casey.

"I'm disappointed and angry.

"He didn't even tell people on social media or anything. I put it on my [Facebook] page and told people not to bother coming."

His head coach, Phil Shatford, the former New Zealand amateur coach, was ropeable.

"It's the most unprofessional tournament I've ever been to.

"Justin Wallace can run a good show but as far as professional boxing is concerned, I don't think he knows what he's doing.

"It happens reasonably often that guys can't come into the country because of convictions - he should have known. [Kapi] shouldn't have been there and he could have gotten seriously hurt."

Wallace said he did everything he could to make the initial fight happen, then, when it fell over, he "worked tirelessly".

"I worked with Reece through the process and bent over backwards to make sure he could fight in front of his home crowd.

"We could have called it off but we wanted Reece to have a fight at home in front of his supporters."

Papuni has a contract to have another fight for Wallace - which will be in late March in a Super 8 event at Horncastle Arena, though Shatford said he would rather have nothing to do with him in the future.

Matt Te Paa won the other professional fight, over Ricky Campbell, in a split decision.